+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How many MIX2s type?

How many MIX2s type?

So my water volume is 200 gallons (I know that doesn't matter), but I feed a little less than 2 cubes a day. My tank drains to my basement sump via 2 pipes and into two filter socks. I was going to remove the two filter socks and replace with 2 MIX2s non-floating.

Would this be overkill/I wouldn't get enough growth on either one? Should I just do one MIX2? And if so, will I have issues since one of the pipes would flow straight into the sump and not hit the scrubber at all. I have materials to build two so cost is not an issue. Thanks in advance.

Administrator
    Welcome.

You probably have some phosphate stored in your rocks, so for the first year or so your water will act like more than 2 cubes per day. So, since you have 2 overflows, and since you should always have one scrubber full while you clean the other one, I'd make 2 units.

2 smaller units is always, always, better than one bigger unit.

Thanks. Just attempted to make two out of pond baskets using hydraulic cement and crushed live rock. Not looking very pretty right now. We'll see how it looks when it dries and I add the string. Do you just let the water overflow the edge or should there be a drain hole in the bottom so no water is sitting in it? If these two still look bad and are two heavy for the filter sock mount I probably will just purchase the MIX2s since they would be lighter.

Administrator
    Overflow or drain, should not matter.

Not sure how long the crushed coral will last; It may slowly dissolve, or not. The cement by itself might be better.

Yeah, I'm not liking the look right now. I think they will be in the trash by the end of the night. Do you make a MIX1 or MIX1.5?

Administrator
    No just the 2. It's only 4 X 6", so a 1 or 1.5 would be too small to point the overflow into

Very good point and big duh on my part. Are there issue of doing one MIX2 for now and having the other overflow from my tank just going straight into the sump? Just threw my first two attempts out.

Administrator
    Yes you can always start with one.

How deep should the water be in a the MIX2 type without the float? Should the water drain out the bottom immediately or should there be at least 2" of water in the unit that drains slower?

Administrator
    1/2 from the top.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information