+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First try at waterfall scrubber

First try at waterfall scrubber

Based on the as calculator and my projected/future feeding of 2 cubes and nori, it says my screen should be 3 in wide by 9.60 inches tall. Does that seem right? I have a 120 gallon sw reef w about 10 fish. 3 of which are small tangs.

I have a couple of additional questions:

-Shouldn't it be wider?

-can i use 1/2 pvc or does it have to be 3/4?

Please let me know your thoughts as I'm hoping to work on this tonight.

Thanks for your help.

Banned
    Width is a function of available flow or lighting configuration, if you're locked into a specific dimension, one drives the other. Otherwise you can make it whatever you like.

I would use 3/4" PVC minimum. Smaller diameter means that at a higher pressure, you get incrementally less flow (more head loss)

2 cubes/day plus how much nori/day? The guideline says 10 sq in = 1 cube but that's just a rough guideline. Your screen is about 30 sq in or 2.5 cubes/day, I would say for a 120 that is probably the minimum. Also remember that your tang will grow and eat more. So it's a good size for now I think but you could go bigger, maybe up to 2x as big and be good also.

I'm going to run the ats off of my return via a manifold.

2x the width? 6 x 10? The screen I'm currently using on my uas is 10x11. Since I'm replacing the uas for the waterfall, should i use that screen?

You guys are a great resource. thx.

also, i know the water from my manifold will go in one side of the pvc and across the bar and down the screen; would u have other end of the bar just capped off or do you allow water to exit the other side?

Banned
    Size. you are at 30 sq in now, just go to 45-60 sq in overall. Whatever width you choose for the flow you have available, divide that into the area to get the other dimension.

10x11 would be a rather larger screen for that setup, so I might just cut that down in size and use it. Figure out how much flow you have available for however you are going to plumb it (pump, overflow, etc) then take that number and divide by 35 (gph/in of screen width) and this will give you the width that your scrubber screen should be. So for instance if you have 280 GPH available, 280/35 = 8, so 8" wide and then total area desired of 60 so 60/8 = 7.5 tall. Make sense?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cluog633 View Post
    also, i know the water from my manifold will go in one side of the pvc and across the bar and down the screen; would u have other end of the bar just capped off or do you allow water to exit the other side?
    Capped. Otherwise algae will grow into the slot and clog it. Water pressure will force algae not to grow into the slot. For the same reason, this is why you don't put cross-cuts in the slot pipe.

Excellent.

I'll do a 6x10 (so that I can get it high enough for light placement) for 60 sq in and 210 gallons per hr.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1889.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	4926Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1890.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	4927Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1888.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	4928Here's what I came up with. I welcome thoughts. Floyd the LEDs you recommended arrive this week.

Banned
    Looks good, I would drape the pipe and about the top 1" of the screen with saran wrap to prevent streamers from causing problems

How do streamers cause problems?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information