+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First build...

First build...

I've been thinking about ordering a Turbo or Acorral unit. However, I thought I might give it a shot myself.

As you can see, I have a lot of room to work with. Any suggestions on what setup to go with? I was able to stuff my XP1000sss skimmer into the return pump slot. Fortunately I don't have any micro bubble issues. System is a mixed reef of 65 gallons and the sump is a Eshopps RS-200 sump with about a 30" total length. Return is a Rio 2100.

I have several pumps available I can use including another Rio 2100, MJ1200, MJ900, MJ400, etc.

A little confused if I should go with up flow, waterfall, or some other setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Nov 05, 10 30 54 PM.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	4931

Banned
    I guess my questions are:

What is your goal?

What problems are you having?

What are your N and P readings?

...because your tank looks awesome already!!

Nitrate: 25
    Po4: anywhere between .03 to .09 normally.

Currently I'm using a Hog1x, phosguard, vinegar dosing, and skimmer

Goals:
    - Cut out or reduce vinegar dosing (tired of big bacteria sheets in the sock and sump)
    - Reduce the amount of phosguard I use
    - Feed double what I do now (2 frozen cubes a day)

I've also been reading up on Xenia based filtration in the sump although I don't think I want to go that route due to potential of infestation on my main rocks.

Banned
    Plus xenia don't grow that fast, so you need a lot of them. And I agree on the nuisance - and they will spread, for sure.

So you feed 2 cubes/day now, or is that what you want to feed?

How long running the HOG and have you seen results (i.e. nutrient level drop, decreased reliance on PWCs, etc)?

I'm feeding 2 cubes a day now. Running the hog about 5 months now, good thick green growth on 16 hours. I still do weekly 5g changes. I would like to cut that down as well to maybe every other week.

I want to feed 3 cubes and feed the corals more often.

I want to rely on skimming and ATS as my two main forms of filtration. Phosguard will pick up whatever's left.

Oh I also use Seachem Matrix activated carbon.

Banned
    Well I run an L2 on a tank in a dentist's office which is a 144, packed full of LR and plenty of corals, they feed I think about 2 cubes/day of a DIY food (which is pretty rich stuff) and I clean every 14 days and get a good bunch of harvest, tank has been at 0.00-0.02 on Hanna P Checker and never over ~2 Nitrate on Salifert (looking through the side) for probably well over a year now, and I haven't done a PWC at all in that time. No skimmer, socks, carbon, nothing. Just a scrubber.

BUT...I don't have expensive and classy SPS like you do. I would think that keeping everything like you have it and just adding more scrubbing would help you reach your goal. So yeah, bigger scrubber, and if the UAS is not making a dent in the load, then maybe add a waterfall (use both). No harm in having 2 types of algae scrubbers going at the same time, you've got the load for them.

Are there any lower profile style scrubbers that I could go with?

The one thing that worries me about scrubbers that go a bit high in the stand is that there will be a clog in the slits and I'll have water everywhere as it shoots to the sides. I was thinking of perhaps a floating style scrubber but I haven't seen any how to on those.

Administrator
    What how to do you mean?

Are there any builds that use a long surface above without the use of bubblers? I'd like to keep everything in the sump.

About the closest thing I've found:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2013-11-06 09.21.33.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	4932

http://www.fish-street.com/ats_algal...ategory_id=155

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPenFly View Post
    Are there any builds that use a long surface above without the use of bubblers? I'd like to keep everything in the sump.

About the closest thing I've found:

Attachment 4932

http://www.fish-street.com/ats_algal...ategory_id=155
    I wouldn't go with that. You can put in a waterfall scrubber in your fuge - you seem to have room - and use plastic wrap to keep spray under control. If the slot is big enough and you use something to block light stopping growth in slot you won't see any clogs or problems with water going where you don't want it. I have used both a UAS and waterfall scrubber and found both easy to maintain etc.

You can plumb your overflow directly to the waterfall or use a pump.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information