+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best LED Bulb Yet?

Best LED Bulb Yet?

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...26adtype%3Dpla

Looks like each LED is 3w. You can get 12*3w for total of 36w. Or up to 18*3w for a total of 54w. Is this getting to be too much light? I know a lot of the other ones on here people recommend is more like 12*1w.

Banned
    Or this one, just posted on another thread

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E27-LED-spot...-/190953029013

IMO totally better because of the distance from the LEDs to the front of the lamp (blending) and the huge reflector surface. Both of which are huge problems for any PAR lamp with the LEDs right at the end of the lamp.

This one is 9*3w. Could you compensate for the reflector by getting the 12*3w or 18*3? Seems like you'd have to have the bulb somewhat far away from the screen with 18*3w to keep from burning so you'd get more coverage?

Banned
    Well I think the problem in general with LED PAR type lamps is that the LEDs are too tight together and this causes coverage issues. I haven't played around enough with them but there appears to be a sweet spot where these need to be placed to get the right intensity, but the problem is that most people using these are on real DIY setups and there is no consistency therefore no real accurate way to 'rate' them for sure.

The lamp on the link in the OP is also the wrong spectrum but I'm sure they would make it however you specified.

Take protecting these things from water very seriously. When it says "Don't use in the dripping water or dripping irrigation place to avoid light damage [sic]" I read "No algae scrubbers," lol. I've ruined a few PAR-style bulbs even with wrap-around acrylic shields. Clustered LEDs with a reflector have always made more sense than lenses to me, but I still wouldn't be able to protect it well enough in my system short of a full coating of silicone, lol.

Try the led floods. I use a 50watt. THe housing is pretty much airtight. Grows algae like crazy,

How much screen does one 50 watt flood light up? Sounds epic to me.

My screen is 18"x12", mind you , the flood puts out alot of lumens.

Grows the algae pretty quick.

My current tank lights have 98x3w leds per fixture x 7 fixtures, now thats bright lol!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information