+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do I absolutely need lighting?

Do I absolutely need lighting?

I was wondering if lighting from my skylight would be enough? I mean its only bright from dawn to dusk (which is relatively short during the winter months)... or must I use CF lighting? It seems such a waste to replace CF every months as the FAQS indicate and I rather not pollute with all that mercury in CF lights... is there no other alternative... they did mention the use of LED lights, has anyone have great success with that or any other type of lighting? Preferably one that doesn't need to be replaced? Thanks...

Re: Do I absolutely need lighting?

Skylights generally provide diffuse light that isn't all that bright. Wild turf lives under direct sunlight.

If your skylight has direct sunlight entering it then it would probably work well.

A light pipe would work well.

You could use HID.

Yes you can use LEDs. They worked quite well for me.

Administrator

If experimenting with LED's, you have to use the "power" ones, that use as many watts as CFL bulbs. Here is a good start for a nano: http://shop.sunshine-systems.com/product.sc?productId=1

And for a regular tank: http://shop.sunshine-systems.com/produc ... oductId=10

Thanks for the quick reply. Should these GlowPanel 45 LED last forever? I am not sure if there is an expiration for LEDs... thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information