+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horizontal scrubber options

Horizontal scrubber options

Hi guys, can any body suggest or point me to a successful horizontal scrubber?
    The reason I ask- I have frag system with multiple tanks draining to a sump turning over aprox 2500 gal hour in two returns, i would like to use the return water to supply the scrubber, I have considered a vertical but the small risk of a blockage would not be good, I'm not saying no to vert yet but leaning to the former.
    I have read of islanding with horizontal but will high flow rate stop this?
    Screen size max space 26l x14w", and run a 130w cfl reflected, or a 150 halide 10" above screen.
    I have screen mounting options of submerged, surface, angled, could even incorporate up flow with or without aeration.
    I have some of the recomend screen that would be glued down or alternatives?
    Any suggestions? Can this work or vertical only way?

Thanks

Administrator
    Welcome,

A pic of the place where it would go would help. Also, your build skills, heat, stray light, salt spray, and noise need to be considered.

Islanding is reduced by higher flow, and by narrower walls, or even by guides like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fig32.jpg
Views:	1160
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	5023

Yeah I'll get a pic up. I have some baffling now that controls water very good, no spray and sheet flow, I prob could have about 3/4" of water traveling over plate 14" wide.
    I bought some led grow lights 225x.06w if they don't work for this one(height penitration) i have another display run them on

Click image for larger version

Name:	sump.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	5024

i have also just thought it might be possible to run a light under sump to shine on underside of screen, cons- Flood, already have heaps of room on top side, and more work ;(

Administrator
    Well if you already have a lot of flowing water, then a horizontal might be best.

26 X 14 is very big, and you need to light the whole thing brightly or else the dim areas will grow dark stuff that lets go easily. So a large 100w LED grow light would be needed, two of the 50w grow lights, shaped 12 X 12 each, would fit.

Thanks SM
    Do you have a particular light in mind?
    I can foresee an issue with getting that whole screen going nuts- Nutrients, it's going to need a cup of food a week to run it! Although mainly corallimorphs and zoas, I don't think they'd mind
    I could cut the screen size, but the difficultly is light then, trying to focus usable light at 10" on screen.
    Vertical is looking easier lol

Administrator

Hi - this guys got a successful large H - scrubber on his reef set up

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/02/06/adees-reef-sunlight/

http://www.mysaltyreef.com/forum/sho...21-Adee-s-Reef

Cheers

Thats some insane sps growth in his tank, scrubber page 29.
    One thing though its an sps tank and im reading a bit in here that softies dont do well with scrubbers, but there's always a "but". Im a sold skimmer less person for 3yrs, havnt looked back, and saw the scrubber as another tool in the box of natural success.
    Is this going to destroy my corallimorphs and zoanthids from a lack of nutrients? Or just adding a heap more food to compensate is the go?

Administrator
    If anything it's xenia that have trouble with scrubbed water. But zoo's and mushrooms seem to be fine. You just need to try it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information