+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surf 2 Not harvesting after 6 months

Surf 2 Not harvesting after 6 months

Hi All,

I'm hoping somebody can help me. I really want this scrubber to work I bought the scrubber this year and received it around June 26. It's been running since with little or no luck. I'm not sure what the problem is. It will take me a little while, but I'm going to post all the pics I can ... I do ~10% water changes weekly on my tank (it is an elos midi) and pull out the algae clumps by hand as best as possible. We also vacuum the gravel for excess food particles (during water change) and run a protein skimmer. The skimmer used to have a filter sock catching the output, but I removed that at some point along the line hoping it might help. The sock was another thing we cleaned every week or so. I may add it back in...

Here are pics from July 27 (one month growth):
    There is very little growth in the scrubber itself. Algae is still growing in the main display. Corals are all doing well, and algae getting hand picked out on a weekly basis. LED in the scrubber running 22 hours a day at this point. Air bubbles set to max.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jul27_2.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	5034Click image for larger version

Name:	jul27_3.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	5035Click image for larger version

Name:	jul27_4.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	5036

Next update, September 30th (~3 months growth):
    Scrubber had been running for some time now, but we had gone on vacation for 6 weeks. Tank had been overrun with algae during this time while being "babysat". I cleaned the tank out the day after we got back, but lost a good amount of the corals. Algae scrubber looked the "best" it has ever looked to date. Nice green coloration, but no harvestable growth. Just a thin layer of green covering everything.

Name:	sep30_1.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	5037Click image for larger version

Name:	sep30_2.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	5038Click image for larger version

Name:	sep30_3.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	5039

October 18th (~3.5 months):
    Since the scrubber still had no thick growth, we removed it from the tank and gave it a light cleaning in the sink (toothbrush and tap water). Rinsed out airtubing etc, and placed back into the tank. Roughly 20 days after that cleaning, these pictures were taken.

Name:	oct18_1.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	5040Click image for larger version

Name:	oct18_2.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	5041Click image for larger version

Name:	oct18_3.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	5042Click image for larger version

Name:	oct18_4.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	5043

At this point, we're doing weekly or bi weekly scrubber cleanings. Not much improvement, still the same orangey/brown kelp color. Some green mixed in but still nothing harvestable and still plenty of algae growing in the display. Some corals recovered, some did not. LED on the scrubber tuned down to only 18 hours a day at this point.

Nov 2:

Name:	nov2_1.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	5044Click image for larger version

Name:	nov2_2.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	5045Click image for larger version

Name:	nov2_3.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	5046

Nov 10:

Name:	nov10_1.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	5047Click image for larger version

Name:	nov10_2.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	5048

Still doing weekly water changes, removing algae from display by hand (occasionally with the help of a toothbrush), and vacuuming. No filter sock running at this time.

That's pretty much everything I can think of If anyone has advice, I'm all ears. I would love to be able to take a vacation and come home without a crash

Administrator
    Welcome.

Are the bubbles flowing strong so that they hit the light and almost flow out of the box? Notice the last pic, how the green is only where the bubble are. This indicates that only the holes are supplying enough nutrients, meaning that the bubbles seem slow.

Nevertheless, I'm going to say the overall picture looks good. Comparing the display pics at the beginning and end, the one on the end looks like the growth has reduced the amount of surface area it's taking up on the rock (more white rock is visible), which is a sign of phosphate leaving the rock. This would explain the growth going from green to brown, as the amount of phosphate available to the scrubber increased as the phosphate came out of the rock. I'm guessing the rock has been soaking up phosphate for years.

The main thing at this stage is to remove the slime in the scrubber so that green hair can attach (hair can't attach through the slime). But also it's important to let the hair grow long and out into the bubble flow each time.

So, clean good with a toothbrush, set the light to 22 hours, and let it go 14 days. Only the light should be cleaned during this time.

Hi,

I use the fusion 700 air pump turned to max, so bubbles should be sufficient. I just cleaned it out again and turned the light back up to 22 hours (from 18). I'll post again in roughly 14 days with progress. Here are some pics right now (kind of dirty looking as I usually clean on Saturdays. But, you can see the amount of algae accumulated on rocks and corals).

Name:	P1030801.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	5054Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030802.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	5055Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030803.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	5056

Administrator
    Scrub all of the stuff of the textures; should be white. The brown stuff is slowing down the green from attaching.

Hmm... I've scrubbed it pretty good but it doesnt seem to want to come more clean than that. Just using a standard toothbrush (one of those frees ones the dentist gives you).

Maybe I need to bleach it out??

Administrator
    No not bleach. Let it grow 14 days, at 22 hours light per day.

Are you running any GFO?

No GFO. I am running some carbon + phosban though (http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...es/SeaGel.html).

Last time I checked all the parameters looked very good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information