+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do ATS emits coral growth inhibitors?

Do ATS emits coral growth inhibitors?

Hello folks!

I discussed my ATS project in an other Forum. The members are very sceptical of the function of an ATS. Some say that the Algaes from the Scrubber emits coral growth inhibiting biochemical substances. I can't believe that because many of you prove the opposite of that.
    Further other Algaes must do the same so a Algae refugium with e.g. Caulerpa would emit growth inhibiting substances too. Did some one made such observation according the coral growth with an ATS?

Kind regards

Oliver

Administrator
    Welcome,

No, algae does not emit coral growth inhibitors. Here is what algae emits:
    http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...nd-Amino-Acids

Hello Santa,

thanks for your answer. I followed the links you post in your thread but I can't find something about macro algaes that produces the vitamins and amino acids. All listed / described algaes are phytoplancton (unicellular algaes) / flagellates.

Kind regards

Oliver

Administrator
    I have not had time to update, but yes macro's are the same. You can go to ReefBase.org and find it.

Quote Originally Posted by quad View Post
    Hello folks!

I discussed my ATS project in an other Forum. The members are very sceptical of the function of an ATS. Some say that the Algaes from the Scrubber emits coral growth inhibiting biochemical substances. I can't believe that because many of you prove the opposite of that.
    Further other Algaes must do the same so a Algae refugium with e.g. Caulerpa would emit growth inhibiting substances too. Did some one made such observation according the coral growth with an ATS?

Kind regards

Oliver
    I believe this really only happens when algae touches coral physically and only certain types of algae. At least that's the only proven rigorously run study that I've read about. I think an ATS helps in that situation because it keeps algae out of your display and grows it somewhere where it's easy to dispose. If your system is perfect and won't grow any algae, then no problem, the ATS won't grow it. I see an ATS as a safety valve to make sure algae isn't growing in the rocks.

If you run strong UV, ozone, or good carbon, it'll also remove allelopathic chemicals from the water column. I personally run carbon on the output of my ATS.

Thanks for the hint with the carbon, I didn't think anything of it. For a marine tank I think it is necessary to filter over carbon from time to time (to remove the yellow from the water or toxins from some invertebrates). This will surely remove the inhiobitors of the algaes too, if there are some in the water.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information