+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Super simple UAS

I've almost always run DSB over a plenum in my reef tanks. I use a simple airstone bubble lift, no power head. I've never had any negative experiences with them. In my current setup it seems to harbor tons of pods, and recently I found a shrimp about an inch long coming up the bubble lift. Lots of discussion can be found, pro and con. My goal is to maintain slow movement of water thru he sand bed. I have a very industrious pistol shrimp that lives with a diamond goby and a yellow watchman goby. Two fair sized brittle stars and a dozen nassarius snails and the shrimp and gobies keep the sand bed constantly stirred up.

So the plenum is the same thing as an undergravel filter?

Quote Originally Posted by silverado61 View Post
    So the plenum is the same thing as an undergravel filter?
    Sorta. One school of thought says to run powerheads on the lift tubes for a few months, then remove them. Something about nitrifying bacteria yada yada yada. I just want some circulation thru the bed, and to provide a dark safe place for pods and so forth. I don't use a powerhead, just an air stone bubble lift. I use 50/50 mix of CaribSea Super Reef and Seaflor Special Grade Reef. Lots of nooks and crannies. I see 'pods in the tunnels the gobys and pistol shrimp dig. Makes for stable tunnel structures for them.

Iīm starting to see progress.. but I did wrong, yesterday I cleaned the scrubber.. I didnīt know that the first cleaning must be very gentle... so I clean it with a soft brush and I almost take away everything... so I think itīs like starting over.

Before Cleaning.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140206_202259.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	5121

After
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140206_202747.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	5122

Looks good

It will grow back faster since there are algae cells on the screen. I just swish mine off in a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater, then siphon off the 'pods with a turkey baster. My screen is always loaded with Rotifera and 'pods.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information