+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light help-Has anyone used these LED's?

How are these lights working out guys?

I had two and added one more on a 11 x 7 upflow screen and I am vert pleased with their performance. I harvest 100-120 grams of wet (squeezed) green algae every 8 days. They are a bit long at 12" so you need a long screen to utilize their light pattern efficiently. I am pleased with the selection.

I am new to algae scrubbers so I bought one of these to try on my 100 gallon goldfish tank with nitrates around 100-120 ppm. My original idea was a 3"x12" algae turf scrubber but that was difficult to get going. It turns out that this light can be modified into a rectangular array since their design is segmented into 3 independent controller boards with 3 x 1W LED on each. I used a hacksaw to chop it into three pieces and then soldered wires to join the positive and negative rails. Don't do this unless you know what you are doing - it makes a mess of aluminum filings, silicone, etc. Also, the hacksaw shorted out the boards by smearing a thin layer of aluminum on the sides of the circuit board which resulted in the ground plane and +12V traces connected. I had to clean it off with a file until the continuity tester didn't show a short circuit.

Now I use it on an upflow scrubber and after 20 days it is showing some growth.Click image for larger version

Name:	reassembled.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	5504Click image for larger version

Name:	blob_algae.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	5505

Administrator
    Welcome.

Looks like it will fill in nicely.

+ Reply to Thread