+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with my scrubber :(

Help with my scrubber :(

Hi

I have a horizontal style scrubber.Its seems to run Ok but it seems to run far off its potential. Its roughly 4 inches wide and 9 inches long. I have around 300 lph going over it.
    Light is a 10W red LED flood light roughly 3 inches above the scrubbr

I get green algae and come cyno(red algae) growing on it but it never seems to get thick or really take off as you see with most peoples. Any ideas?

I have cleaned it a couple of times (been going around 3 weeks with new light) and it does grow back but only very thinly

Any help on improvements would be great.

Administrator
    My guess is that the water is not fast enough, or too thick. If you tilt it up it will run faster.

Ah....did not realise water had to b running fast.
    Is that so it gets more oxygen?

Administrator
    No it is to remove the boundary layer around the algae, so the nutrients (including CO2) can dissolve into it. If you can add air bubbles, it will help even more.

I have greatly increased the angle of the scrubber and increased the flow rate over it.

I am still not getting good results. There is a think layer of green algae on the mesh but it gets no more than that?
    I cannot see where I am going wrong?

Any more ideas? Your help is very appreciated

Administrator
    Going to take more than 2 days to get results. Clean off the stuff now, so new growth has a rough surface to attach to.

Also check your salinity (if saltwater) and lighting. I have found that low salinity and lighting that is shifted too far to the red end of the spectrum will encourage cyano growth. I used to use grow lights but now I stick to simple CFL daylight bulbs.

I get red cyano when my pump needs to be cleaned on my horizontal. Keep the flow up and scrub away the dark and red growth. It will grow green but horizontals take longer to get established and dont work as well as the vertical does but I have to have one in my small pod grow tank, the rest of mine are vert though. The grow light is probably better as well if you give it a while. Cyano can happen in fresh or saltwater so salinity is probably not the issue, I bet is the flow as I experience.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information