+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there such a thing as too big of a scrubber?

reef r madness

Is there such a thing as too big of a scrubber?

Im thinking of doing an algae scrubber in my future reef tank.Im going to be using a 10 gallon sump and a 29 gallon display tank.I want to make the scrubber 7 inches high 20 inches long lit on both sides..i plan on using 2x24 watt florasun t5 bulbs .Ive been away from hobby for about 10 years....my how things have changed....last time i had my tank up and running protein skimmers had just came out.....I also want to document my build ....Ive joined a few sites .......any recommendations on which site i will get the most input...thank you santa monica for all your hard work...

reef r madness
    according to the calculator ....i need to make my scrubber 3 inches high x 12 inches long with a flow rate of 105 gph...18 watts per side....feeding 3 cubes a day....am i getting closer to the right specs? 18 hour light cycles running from 6pm to noon.......

Administrator
    Welcome.

Yes, skimmers were neat. All that rising foam. Until you realize that the particles in that foam are coral food, and small-fish food. The same food you buy and feed. And, the skimmer don't remove any nutriets. At all.

Anyway, for regular sites, if I had to pick one I say Reefsanctuary.com.

Your size seems off. Maybe you mean 3 inches wide. But that would be hard to put a 12 inch bulb vertical into the sump.

reef r madness

here is a diagram

ok here is my plan...scrubber housing to be made of clear plexiglass.24 watt florasun ho lights on both sides of housing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ats diagram.jpg‎
Views:	340
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	5196  

Administrator
    3 cubes is a giant amount for a nano, but yes it would need 36 square inches of screen, and at least 36 total watts. Flow however should be 12 X 35 = 420 gph, not 105 gph. So, this design would have a huge amount of circulation for it's size. Might be loud, and could easily spray everywhere.

Also you don't want the detritus trapped anywhere. Instead leave an open pathway so the detritus can recirculate back around to feed the corals. If you are going to have rock in the sump, have detritus eaters in their too.

You might be better with a 4x4 screen or 6x6 if you have a ton livestock to feed but its unlikely in a 29G. To much screen grows little algae and does not filter very good, its best to fit the screen to your feeding not the size of your tank.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    To much screen grows little algae and does not filter very good
    Why would a large screen grow less algae than a small screen? That does not make sense...
    Tank Info: 1000 liter FOWLR/Reef (some corals), DIY glass "High-Tech" sump with ATO reservoir, 550W DIY LED, 5x Tunze Stream 610x, Laguna 6000 l/h return pump, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Almost floating UAS Algae scrubber, DIY Temp Controller, Avast Mutiny II Ozone reactor. 216 liter Reef Cube, glass sump with ATO reservoir, Ecotech Radion LED, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Temp Controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Pny View Post
    Why would a large screen grow less algae than a small screen? That does not make sense...
    I think the theory is you end up spreading the algae out over the larger screen and missing out on some of the filtering capability you may get with denser growth.

3 cubes per day of feeding is an awful lot of food for a 29Gal tank. What are you planning to put in it?

Administrator
    A wider screen has to spread the nutrients out over a larger space, so it does not have the material it needs to grow out into the flow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information