+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sizing for Thailand waterfall scrubber

Administrator
    Well coral food really puts a lot of nutrients into the water, so count it as 2 cubes. So you have a total of 5 cubes.

5 cubes would need 5 X 12 = 60 square inches of screen = 375 square cm, so you are about right. I'd double the lighting though, and be able to turn on half for low-power.

ok that is great info I can make 2 separate light units per side ..and what I worked out is about right ...another question is..... more water is better and by your pic's of your scrubbers is the water pipe holding the screen has 1/8 slot and the pipe is 1"od ???the pipe from DT to sump on my aquarium which has an od of 35mm would I use this dimension..have a T piece ...one end going from DT to sump with gate valve at bottom to restrict flow .....the centre to scrubber or would you go from DT straight to scrubber with no restriction

Administrator
    Yes the pipe holds the screen: A circular wrap of some kind goes around the pipe and through the screen.

1" OD, and 1/8" slot, is good. Rough up the screen a lot.

You can go from DT straight to scrubber with no restriction; just test it first before gluing.

reef r madness
    i was glad i put a pvc gate valve between overflow and scrubber...because the first night i ran it ...it was very loud ...i was able to adjust flow so there was no gurgling noise ...i didnt have to interupt flow that much...

thanks for the info...my 220gal arrived yesterday and they are going to do plumbing today but I think I better do it because they will be using 90 deg bends for return and return pipe is 3/4" and just one pipe...my pump is 10500 lph so would not be enough especially with 90deg bends
    have you any suggestions on this...and yes I was going to put in gate and do stockman standpipe to quieten noise ......been there done that

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information