+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone tried these led's.

[QUOTE=rleahaines;35648]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent1128 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that these cant be beat http://www.expressions-ltd.com/Algae...grow-light.htm[/QUOTE

I have some issues with these strips.

1. They are not waterproof or water resistant like the others we have been discussing in this thread. This means you have to place them so they shine through glass or in an area that they DON'T GET WET. . Spray will eventually short out lights unless you have them sealed or away from the spray. I learned this the hard way.

2. They are 1 Watt LED's. My experience is that 2 or 3 Watt LED's work better. The write up for this one says that the seller has had success using them for algae scrubbers.

They may work fine.

Algae Scrubbers are a fun part of reefkeeping.. You get to play with saltwater and electricity at the same time.
    How long did it take before they shorted out? Where I have them they have the slightest amount of salt creep where the wire goes in. Its barely enough to rub off so I havent been worried about it. I've had them about a month and they are still working great.

I just recieved my 4 - 12w units, they look a bit cheap (they were cheap). The suppliers came good and supplied me with all red LED's and Australian plugs as requested. Im a bit baffled because the plugs are on 10cm leads, seriously what can you do with that! Anyway I'll make another trip into town and get some leads and other bits and pieces so that I can make them useful. Wheather they will grow algae or not is yet to be seen. I'll be building and installing a scrubber over the next week or two and will keep you posted. I'm going to make a 4 cube (feed) waterfall scrubber based on that nifty calculator that's floating around on this site. I'll be using 250mm storm water pvc as the main housing and the lights that I have just received. I've never used a scrubber before so I'm interested to see what it can do to limit N&P in my new 6x2x2. I think that I'll be able to get the scrubber going before the tank is stocked, so it should be interesting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information