+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to set up a new sump for a scrubber

How to set up a new sump for a scrubber

Hello, finally got a new (ish) bigger tank, I want to ditch my old canister filters as now have my first sump. Yeh!! Tank is a 190 litres with Durso layout (3 pipes 1xin, 1xemergency in, 1xreturn). I have stripped all the baffles out of the sump and am in the process of resealing it. I would love a scrubber system and my sump is a blank canvas. Sump size 28inchs (L) x 14 (H) x 15 (W). I need help with trying to lay it out in the most efficient way. I do own a skimmer (Bubble Magnus 5 if required) and a return pump Eheim 3000 compact. I am open to all ideas. I guess I will not feed more than 2-3 cubes a day eventually.

Do I organise my sections as:
    1 Filter sock and skimmer
    2 Waterfall scrubber enclosed with glass baffles lit both sides either 2x10W flood light or 2x(4x3W) 660led so I can clean alternate weeks? Do I need live rock in here too??
    3 Return

Should I feed the scrubber directly from the inlet or via a pump (separate or return)?

I really need some advice for what works.

Thankyou

Administrator
    Sump time!

Your sections seem fine. Can put rock if you want. Also have the option of scrubber-only and nothing else.

Waterfall versions can be fed either way; overflow is simplest, but you'll need to be able to disconnect for cleaning, and there will be no scrubber flow when the return is off.

Also consider an upflow.

Ok, got me thinking. What if I use 2xsmaller HOG UAS in the first inlet section, flow over a baffle, into the skimmer section (am I right proteins float so will be better taken up by the skimmer), then and over under over baffle to the return. This way I don't need to modify the overflow pipe, I wont need 2 big floodlights, and I can alternate the cleaning of my UAS. A slightly different lay out, almost triton method like.

Yet again reading makes me more confused. Is there any difference to have a skimmer before, after or in the same section as a scrubber? Sorry for all the questions I cant find an answer.

Administrator
    Yes that layout will "work". But almost any layout will work; the real answer (for filtering) is how good the scrubber runs, and how easy it is to clean. An open box with nothing but a scrubber will work the same: as good as the scrubber. Even no sump at all will still work as good as the scrubber. Bubbles are one thing to consider, however.

Skimmer before or after does not matter for filtration; the skimmer removes particle food and dissolved food, and the scrubber removes nutrients. For feeding, however, if the skimmer is after, then it will remove pods that escape the scrubber.

I'd leave things flexible, so you can move it around later.

Thank you Santamonica, will keep it simple and get some decent lamps. Will be doing a tank build thread on the ultimatereef so hopefully can give it a good show.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information