+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 75g Soft only tank

Finally got around to adding lights to the second side. It was never needed with the 75g tank but after upgrading to 120g and adding more livestock it was time to increase output. I added the Dimmable 300W LED Grow Light 3W Full Spectrum IR costs around $110. Trying to DIY by the time you buy a heatsink and ballast your around $70 so really didn't make sense and put the money towards the fixture. I been using these fixtures replacing 4X54w T5s on my 180g show for about 4 months with great results. For me, running with dial at 40% for 18 hours seems to be the sweet spot. Others in my local club have started using this fixture for ATS and refugiums after my success with it. Growing cheato in refugium, I let a guy borrow one and less than a week he already knew it was working better and ordered one.

Tanks is doing well, just a couple spots of byropsis but it's getting slower so hopefully getting it under control.

Added a rock anemone and a very small orange maxi-mini anemone back in March. No other plans for corals or fish just let it grow.

ATS with new fixture, the old 8 bulb 660nm 120degree 3w leds was moved to the back side:

New fixture side ( previously had no light just caked on coraline algae ). After 1 week was virtually the same output as the old mature side:

The existing mature side lit by 8 700mah 120degree 660nm LEDs:

Total harvest 1 week growth, 2.5 cups rinsed and sqeezed:

Quick full tank shot:

Last edited by FrozenReef; 06-10-2015 at 07:39 AM. Reason: clarified new screen side is same screen just added light.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaji108 View Post
    beautiful tank love the scape of the 75 :
    update? do you run carbon and if you how often?
    Yes, without a skimmer if I don't run carbon on my tanks after a while they will create a odor. 120g tank ( upgraded from 75g ) I use 1/2 cup of Rox .8 carbon in a BRS reactor that is feed from the return pump. Ideally change it ( and the filter floss that is in the reactor as filler and hold the carbon from shifting ) every week but sometimes gets skipped to every 2 weeks. If from observation tank isn't doing well, I may replace sooner but that is pretty rare now that things are pretty settled and very little changes.

When you say "new screen side" what do you mean? Do you have 2 screens, or is that just the side with the new light?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    When you say "new screen side" what do you mean? Do you have 2 screens, or is that just the side with the new light?
    Same screen just the side that never had a light on it. It was caked with coraline algae. I roughed it up with a hole saw prior to using the new fixture.

Edited the post to clarify.

Ah. I would have probably left the coraline algae on it, that's a good growth substrate

August update:

Tanks is doing great. Little bit of byropsis starting to pop back up in places and need to do another round a aptasia killing. Usually just slightly cutting back daily food so ATS can catch back up and the byropsis will fade away again.

Large Colt needs a major trim so wanted to get a pic before it gets chopped becuase it's blocking too much light from lower corals.

No new corals. I haven't been buying any livestock since the early spring frag swap. Only essential supplies to keep the tank running ro/di filters etc. Can't really think of much I want to add, another rock amenone maybe. I'm not into palys and hasn't really been any zoanthids I'm really eyeing.

Been trying to move stuff of the sandbed, sold some duplicates off, others still migrate into into a 29g in-wall tank.

I did loose 3 fish in July: long nose butterfly, female clown, bristle tooth tang. Believe it to have been ich or something. Hadn't been paying attention to the tank and ich got too far along couldn't save them. Only one I will for sure replace is the clown.

Current Full Shot:

Administrator
    Nice. I agree that the "difficult" bryopsis will just go away on it's own, it the scrubbing is enough.

This tank has been officially shutdown. Most of the contents where combined into my 180g show tank.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information