+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surf 4 Journey

Surf 4 Journey

Hi Guys,

So I bought a Surf4 about a month ago threw on my sump but I haven't been able to get any growth. Hence I am set to start the journey anew and hopefully documenting it here will help me get some feedback into what I am doing wrong.

Here is some background:

Tank size: 100 Gallon DSA tank
    Lights: 2 Orphek LED PR156W
    Pumps: 2 x Fusion 700 (Had them running at full force, turned them down to 50% to help new algae growth attach- planning on turning it back to 100% once I have good growth on the unit)
    Light Schedule: They are set on a timer to run 18 Hours a day as opposed as possible to my main display tank light. (Lights on the scrubber start when the main tank is completely dark and they turn off right before or an hour after my Daylights turn on my main display tank - On a side note I also only plugged in one of the LED clusters instead of the two)
    Filtration: I had my skimmer running and my GFO reactor also. I just took my GFO reactor offline yesterday

Status: No growth on the unit, no algae in the tank but started battling Cyano as I had a big outbreak now it is starting to comeback into the tank. (By the way I don't think Cyano is related to flow issues as I have 2 MP40 on my tank)

I will update with pictures when I get home. But feel free to give me some pointers or ideas :-)

Administrator
    Welcome.

If you have no measurable nutrients, you probably need to use a shade cloth on the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Welcome.

If you have no measurable nutrients, you probably need to use a shade cloth on the lights.
    But if I had no nutrients then I wouldnt have Cyano showing no?

Administrator
    Cyano is using food particles settle on the sand.

So as promised here are some of the pics that I promised.
    What is really impressive is how clean my surf unit is...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1865.jpg‎
Views:	318
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	5491   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1863.jpg‎
Views:	293
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	5492   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1862.jpg‎
Views:	296
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	5493   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1858.jpg‎
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	5494   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1855.jpg‎
Views:	300
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	5495  

Sorry for the ignorance SantaMonica, but shouldnt the Surf out-compete the cyano for those nutrients? So the Cyano is the rock work, I am assuming that if it feeding from the food particles in the sand then it means it dissolves into the water column at which point it should be fair game for the cyano and the surf no? Sorry I am kinda confused.

Administrator
    The scrubber can't do anything until it starts growing. And that can't happen when the light is too bright for the amount of nutrients in the water, which is very little because this is a new tank. So, cover about 2/3 of the light with a t-shirt (keeping only one SURF4 light plugged in), and in 7 days see what part grows more... the covered or uncovered part.

You have some nice rock there, but cyano and dino's are normal for a newly set up tank, since the dead rotting stuff in the rock has to dissolve and let nutrients out. So keep the rocks, flow, lights, and everything unchanged so that periphyton can develop on the rocks, and the scrubber will be a good filter as time goes on.

So as you mentioned Santa Monica I cut a piece of an old shirt and covered about 2/3 of the unit.. sorry for the bad picture quality.. here is what it looks like... ( by the way i checked my unit last night and it is still white)

Did I do it right?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg‎
Views:	260
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	5496   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg‎
Views:	257
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	5497  

Administrator
    One layer of cloth should be good. After 7 days check the growth pattern.

Well Seven days have passed so here I am updating the thread and the journey of the Surf4. Last thing I did was cover half the unit like Santa Monica suggested and as of right now I am only running half the LEDs... here are the pictures of the unit as it looks and one of the tank... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1887[1].jpg
Views:	292
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	5524Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1889[1].jpg
Views:	289
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	5525Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1886[1].jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	5526Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1890[1].jpg
Views:	288
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	5527

What should the next steps be? Should I turn the other side of the lights on as well.. take the cover off with only half the lights running or run the full blast with no covers?.... Also should the Cyano start going away?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information