Hi everyone,
I started my first scrubber three weeks ago. It is a freshwater 100gal tank with a large goldfish in it, feeding 1.2g per day of Hikari Japanese pellet food. The nitrates are a little over 100 PPM - I use API test kit and dilute 5:1 before testing.

I built a UAS three weeks ago based on a black take-out food tray, something like the earlier SM HOG scrubber design. For the first 7 days, nothing but brown diatom slime which I rinsed off with a strong stream of water. During week two, there was lots of brown again but I also noticed some green between the squares of the mesh, so I did a rinse and most of the brown flaked away leaving a green color in places. The green developed into slimy round blobs which are still growing. Some are hanging on by a strand and waving in the bubbles, but there isn't anything like hair. I tried searching this site and google and can't seem to match it to anything.

Also I think my bubbles are not touching the screen along the bottom, so my growth gets better at the top. I will fix that when I do my next cleaning.

If anyone has experience with non-GHA freshwater algae like this please let me know. It is about 3 1/2 weeks since the scrubber has been running. 8x1W 660nm LED 18h on 6h off since day one.
Click image for larger version

Name:	blob_algae.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	5506Click image for larger version

Name:	slimyblob.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	5507