+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New algae scrubber

Re: New algae scrubber

finally I put some reflectors on my algae scrubber, I remove probably more than half a kilo of wet algae every week, if not more, to much fish food, I know...

movie of my algae scrubber with refletors:
    http://www.vimeo.com/8795366

the reef is still improving you can see it here:
    http://www.vimeo.com/8795037

The reflectors were made with acrylic, aluminum foil was glued to the outside of the reflectors, no water sprinkles in them, everything is waterproof, and the aluminum does not get wet...

tel me about what you tihnk,
    Thanks in advance

Administrator

Here are pics of yours below. Looks very good. The first pic is a splash/light guard you probably will want to use. Those strong bulbs will cause lots of algae in your slot, and this will cause spraying sideways. Since your pipe is so high up, the spray will go outside the sump. This spray guard will block light from reaching the slot, so it will not grow there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks SantaMonica, well, true, it does gather some algae, and those guards would be nice in there...
    never had a problem, but it could happen...
    it will be my next thing on the scrubber.

Regards!
    António Vitor aka lusitano

I thought about this issue, and I believe it never sprayed sideways outside the screen (out of the sump), because the water (sideways the water has to conquer more screen) touch the screen something with electric afinity I believe, many holes, and the speed of the water cannot win this...

of course, this could happen if some of those holes clogued, the rest of the holes would get a more velocity water, If I build the guards it would be safer, and I could havee more velocity in the water, the pump is at 50%.

the sprays usually do shoot outside the screen but never sideways..I had for several hours 2 of those holes spraying my light fixtures, I am glad I did a good job in waterprofing those fixtures.

the aluminum foil of the reflectors are even glued in the back of the acrylic, if there is spraying towards the reflectors, I would not get aluminium in the water...
    time to buy some acrylic for the guards...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information