+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noob Intro

Noob Intro

Hello everyone.

I just wanted to drop in and say hello, and thank you so very much for sharing your knowledge on this subject and others, on this forum and others. I've learned a lot from many of you, and even though you don't know me from Adam, I feel like (from an aquarist point of view) that I know you somewhat from here and other forums and youtube vids. My other user names on other forums include Hypsoblennius and Blennius as well as my current one here, so you have an idea what my passion is.

I began in the saltwater hobby many years ago, when dolomite and undergravel filters were the latest industry standard, prior to skimmers becoming popular. I left the hobby for a long time because of lack of funds and frustration, but have since been interested in moving forward again in the hobby with hopes of success, at least as much as possible.

My current project, which began in 2007 with a tank purchase and the beginnings of a stand build, came to a screeching halt in 2008 for various reasons that I won't go in to. But recently, I've been inspired to move ahead and get this tank up and running. Once I get it going, the plumbing done, and my scrubber going, I'll share a build thread. But in a nutshell, it's an oyster reef concept where my focus will be keeping and breeding blennies found locally for me, and anything else that I catch that will complete the biotope but not prey on the blennies, including invertebrates. This is the tank of my dreams that I've always wanted since those beginning days.

Once I get that going, my next step will be an Caribbean/Atlantic reef tank, but that's a long way off. We'll see how this first one goes.3

Thanks again and hopefully I'll have some updates soon.

Administrator
    Welcome.

Wow an oyster reef. Sounds really neat, and the first time I've heard of it. Looking forward to it

Thanks! I'm struggling but am determined to have things up and running soon.

Here is the biotope that I hope to replicate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoPYanQR2Y8

I will be very cautious with the set up/cycling, etc., probably mostly fish only (blennies, gobies, skilletfish, sticklebacks, and maybe a hogchoker and a few killies) at first with whatever inverts show up with live sand/rock found locally. Then, as water quality improves and stabilizes, I'll look to stock more difficult invertebrates and fish. Of course, if I catch other more exotic stuff that find it's way to my net, then they will most likely become tank mates if they're compatible.

I'm really excited about this project finally moving ahead.

Thanks SM for setting up this site and the info you've provided, much appreciated!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information