+ Reply to Thread

Thread: alkalinity reserve

alkalinity reserve

I use the ATS to plus or minus 1 year weekly retreat about 70g of algae per side of ATS, I realized qua beyond the PH is stable although slightly elevated (8.3, tropic marin test) not lower my alkaline reserve a few months both I had to turn off my metering because I reached a limit of 11 really something to SPS corals, I wonder if there is relationship between alkalinity and the ATS.
    Thank you already.
    Márcio

Administrator
    For pH: 8.3 pH is good. 8.4 is best

For alkalinity: sometimes if your ATS is growing very much, the alkalinity will reduce.

if I increase the screen size can help lower? even making a partial return of 10% per month this only low value of 8 in the first week after he goes back up, the screen now has 15x15cm for aquarium 300L (display + sump) I'm thinking of putting a screen 30x20cm, solve?
    else, I put natural saltwater ...

Administrator
    No you do not lower alkalinity by making screen bigger.

What are you adding to make alkalinity high?

i use a balling method with dousing pump, 5ml /day alkalinity, 2ml Ca and 2ml Mg.

Administrator
    Just put less alkalinity.

Another doubt I have is the use of the mechanical filtering acrylic wool type bag BioBall this more conventional type .. there is a need for this type of filtering or'm just generating nitrate in my tank .. I know big hobbyists here in Brazil they simply abolished the use of such mida having apena in the sump, the activated carbon, thermostat and pump deixano return only the ATS equipment ... and these animals respond well ...

This for example only has this ... I'm adimirado how the corals are healthy .. and the age of the tank is 6 months ....
    Thank you !!

Administrator
    Yes, an ATS can be all you need, if it is large enough, and operated correctly. Also, if there is no other filter, there should be two ATS... one will be growing after you clean the other. Or 3 or 4 ATS... this way, when you clean one, you still have lots of filtering.

Activated carbon is not needed, and does not filter. It only make the water un-naturally clear. If you want naturally clear water, use no carbon.

so, i'm think in put other ATS in parallel but the dead algae releasing the Fenol and the carbon active is used for remove this one

Administrator
    There should not be any dead algae in the ATS.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information