+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hog2

I moved the rock to a bigger aquarium, dont worry, i dont intend to move it all ever again lol. The hog was scrubbed clean in the sink.
    The lights were on 21 hours, i reduced it to 18 but will up it again to 22.
    My clown doesnt look too good, im expecting the worst but all the others are fine.
    I'll keep an eye on the scrubber and i take it that i need to scrub any re-apearing orange.
    Will let you know any changes
    cheers

Hi. I said on my last post that I would let you know how I got on. Well I can report that things have gone from good to excellent. Since my hog 2 was installed, ive used 3 different test kit brands, all of which have shown Zero on nitrite, nitrate, phosphate & ammonia. ( once the level came down) My goal of having ONLY the hog2 as filtration is now achieved other than a poly filter in the sump. It feels like im not reading it right or something is going on I dont see. After years of keeping fish and havinv the usual problems, its all perfect now. Absolutely fantastic! Test readings are z.g. 1.025. Ph fluctuating around 8.0 - 8.4. Phosphate, ammonia nitrite & nitrate zero. I feed some of the scrubbers algae on a veggi clip to the yellow tang. I did go through a nightmare phase of cyano, caulerpa & diatoms . Had to cheat a bit by using chemiclean to get rid of the cyano but only one dose. Will try to post some pix taken yesterday but im using my mobile so might not work.
    Hope you folks get the same results as ive got using the santamonica scrubber. Cheers for reading.Click image for larger version

Name:	20150315_191434.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	5952
    Last edited by Centralscot; 03-16-2015 at 03:06 AM. Reason: typos

It looks like only one pic worked. Will try adding more from my laptop later.
    Cant add any more. Mobile wont let me ( or maybe its me) lol

Ok, on the laptop now, try upload new pix just taken. Forgot to add that most if not all corals have doubled or quadrupled in the last few months. Also found out the dying corals before were not dying.... they were an expensive lunch for the dancing shrimp and peppermint shrimps, i caught them munching away so they got their marching orders.Click image for larger version

Name:	20150316_153938.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	5954Click image for larger version

Name:	20150316_153946.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	5955Click image for larger version

Name:	20150316_154005.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	5956Click image for larger version

Name:	20150316_154026.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	5957Click image for larger version

Name:	20150316_154040.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	5958Click image for larger version

Name:	20150316_154048.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	5959Click image for larger version

Name:	20150316_154104.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	5953Click image for larger version

Name:	20150316_155301.jpg
Views:	987
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	5960Click image for larger version

Name:	20150316_155308.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	5961 Also showing a couple of pics of my converted Juwel Cupboard to house my sump. Last test results were :- Temp Steady 24.9 - 25.0 thanx to my STC themostat, PH 8.2 SG 1.025 ammonia nitrite nitrate phosphate, as already mentioned zero, Calcium 420, magnesium 1500, (isnt that high?) KH 8/9 Silicate & Iron zero. All that i can only guess is all down to the HOG 2 as its the only thing ive used differently from before and had nowhere near the success im having now.:smile:
    Last edited by Centralscot; 03-16-2015 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Adding test results

Administrator
    Wow great to hear

1500 mag is high but will work it's way down on it's own.

Great stuff. There is a Hydor auto top up which has RO water and Kalkwasser mix. I dose some iodine and salifert all in one but all the filtering is done by the HOG2 and live rock.
    Whether anyone is building one of these or buying one from you santamonica, I would have no hesitation in endorsing that decision. Simple and effective piece of kit.
    I've read some guys on here having slow to start going green scrubbers. Persevere with it. It does work. My system isnt the biggest or most expensive out there but im over the moon with it.
    Cheers again.

Hi again, thought i'd update my scrubbers performance.

Still all going well, never seen the orange that appeared in the scrubber since i posted it. Tank has gone from strength to strength, scrubber is on 12 hrs pulling out a load of algae weekly, although ive never had green hair algae, mostly a mushy green algae. Tangs love it.

I took out the pre filter wool so no filtration other than rocks and scrubber(s), i built a smaller similar one and i clean them alternate weeks. some pics of before and now but quality isnt good sorry

Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenstars and Rocks before.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	6189Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenstars and Zoas before.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	6190Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenstars and Zoas now.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	6191Click image for larger version

Name:	Kenya tree before.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	6192Click image for larger version

Name:	Leather before.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	6193Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocks before.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	6194Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank now.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	6195Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank now.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	6196

Administrator
    Looks like phosphate leaving the rocks

Hi again, seems a long time since i last posted any results, I can recall saying i wouldnt be moving any rocks or aquariums again...... Erm.... ive moved the lot into an even bigger DT.
    Since i bought a regal tang and a powder blue tang, i didnt want to restrict them in a 260 ltr aquarium so i bought an Aquareef 400 to give them more room.
    Didnt seem to be any major upsets this time and i added some more new live rock as it looked a little empty
    Even though the food has gone up in quantity and frequency, theres an auto feeder feeds flake 4 times a day to please the greedy regal tang and i beleive the anthia prefers to feed regularly during the day. Also, when i finish work around 3pm, i feed either a frozen cube or live food or both. The scrubber(s) have had no problems in keeping up with the bio load.
    The corals are multiplying like weeds, i have sold loads of xenia, kenya trees and green star corals or the tank would be over run.
    Leather coral has gone from a 3" square to a 9" sprawl in just over a year, i cut it back but it has already started to re cover the bit i cleared.
    A 2 headed candy cane coral has now 8 heads. One of two new arcoporas died but the other is still there. 2 new Hammerheads are growing great.
    I started off with 4 tiger turbo snails, 2 died but strangely now there are around 30 in there now!
    Ive seen at least 4 baby 1/2" starfish in the last few days but i only have one minstral star fish so unsure where the little ones came from. Could be from the new live rock.
    My new Regal tang had a problem with Ich for a few days. It was in quarantine where i raised the temp and lowered the salinity. That cured it then it went in the main DT.
    Last addition was my long awaited Powder blue tang. Always wanted one of them. Im glad to say it had absolutely no sign of Ich. only trouble was, it didnt get on with my yellow tang so the YT had to come out. Not too pleased about that but i really wanted a powder blue.
    All water parameters are still as before. SG 1.025/6 PH from 7.9 to 8.3. Ammonia & nitrite zero. There was a couple of nitrate blips of up to 3ppm for a few days after adding the PB tang. Hardly surprising as the LFS water bag tested at 40ppm nitrate and 2.5 Phosphate. Phos reading is now zero after it raised to 0.5 with the LFS water added. Magnesium has always kept high at around 1460 to 1500. Need to look at the Kent marine salt mix which i now use instead of NSW because the fuel to drive to the beach multiple times was just as expensive as the salt. Calcium has also been over 450. Dkh is normally around 9.
    Santamonica HOG2 and my home made model are doing all the filtering with a polyfilter to help. The sump had foam prefilters which are also removed.
    One annoying problem is the DT glass still goes green and needs cleaning more than im happy with.
    I manually top up the deionised kalkwasser as my hydor auto top up system jammed in the on position and dumped all the kalkwasser in the DT twice! Thankfully the reservoir was small and no (apparent) harm was done.
    Heres a pic of my new PB tang. will need to take more to post.
    Any other details, ask and i will let you know.Click image for larger version

Name:	20160126_181919_17.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	6419
    Last edited by Centralscot; 01-27-2016 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added a pic

Administrator
    Very good to hear. I'd go for the pbt myself too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information