+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOG1 with no growth at all after one month

HOG1 with no growth at all after one month

Hi SM. I ordered a HOG1 about a month ago, and its been in operation I think since the 30th of October (3.5 weeks). I started with 12 hours a day lighting, and the cloth half on half off. After seeing slight brown algae growth on the uncovered area, I uncovered the whole thing and upped the lighting to 16 hours. What the screen has now is a slight brown algae film, but really not much at all to be honest.

I am using the same pump you recommend and its on full blast (cant remember name of pump). I do not have much algae in my tank, just Cyano. I feed around 1 cube per day, plus one sheet of nori, plus a few pinches of flake. No measureable PO4 or NO3 last I checked, but enough to have to clean the glass once a week as well as the Cyano taking over the tank.

Thoughts?

Administrator
    Did you take it to the sink and scrub all the slime off with a toothbrush? Green hair can't attach if there is slime there.

Also, probably need to go to 20 hours.

No I didnt, Ill do that tonight. The brown stuff didnt start growing until a few days ago and its really very light (not much brown on the grabber). Ill up the time as well

Here is a pic taken a couple days ago

Administrator
    Looks like it still needs the cloth half-covered.

Ok cloth back on half way for now

Went on a vacation and my skimmer stopped working for two weeks. That plus using an autofeeder with flakes led to a tank looking like this:

There is no film on the glass, its straight cloudy from an algae bloom. My HOG1 looks like it did in the previous picture. It shouldnt be this hard to grow algae on this thing..? Rocks are growing algae now, yet zero on scrubber.... HELPPPPP

Administrator
    Well the bloom will burn itself out in a few days; nothing else needed to do if you don't want to, it does not hurt anything.

I need a video of the scrubber running; at least several pics of the placements and surfaces.

How many hours of light, and, are you sure it's turning off (you've seen it) ?

Lights are definitely turning off. Its programmed on my apex controller to come on at 9am and off at 11pm. Here are some more pics

Administrator
    Still half-covered with the cloth? It should be.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information