+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOG1 with no growth at all after one month

It was up until yesterday. Removed the cloth when getting zero results..

Administrator
    Put it back, at 3/4 covered. You need to end up with a definite grow / no-grow area, and let it fill that area dark first.

It was half covered from Nov 1st till Jan 6th will no growth at all.. I am going to keep a closer eye on the lighting to make sure its going on and off, but its connected to my apex so I cant see that not working correctly.. I even had detectable ammonia when I got back from vacation so the nutrients are clearly there for growth. I will try to take a video later today as well.

Administrator
    Do you have any kind of algaecide?

Yes I used Algae Fix Marine when I came home to find this mess of a tank. First time it was used in a few months. Probably right around the time I got the scrubber was the last time it was dosed.

Administrator
    Well I wonder how long it stays around.

Yours is taking longer, but they all start growing at some point. I've seen apex-connected ones actually never turn off, so watch for that.

Good question about the algaecide, but I dont think its that. Between the two months that it wasnt dosed at all, I did enough water changes to remove it completely I would imagine. I am waiting patiently tonight to see if it goes off again (the light). Last night it did, but who knows.. I dont know what else it could be if not the light. Today had measurable ammonia in the tank again, so clearly this should be growing. Air pump dialed all the way up too..

Is it possible that hair algae cant grow without the tank having been seeded of it? I started this tank with dry everything, and havent added much to the tank. Pretty sure I have not introduced any GHA spores to the tank. I imagine it would grow just fine even without this...?

Administrator
    It never needs seeding. Will always grow.

In some more difficult cases like this, some folks have just let it run without checking it, and eventually it settled in and started growing. But always, white means too much light. So just let it go, half covered or so.

Light didnt turn off just now Going to look into whats wrong with the apex parameters

Starting to see a hint of green on the scrubber... near the center of the unit and also towords

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information