+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2nd design scrubber

28 vs 35 GPH/in should not make that much of a difference. How much are you feeding? Are you using the LEDs fixtures?

Hello,I ordered a larger pump,Should have it Tuesday the 28th. According to the big site's head loss calculator, I will have around 42 gph per inch for a 10 inch(across the top) screen. The pump is bigger than necessary but I may have a use for it on another future project. I have more green along the top of the screen. This tells me that is where the most flow is. Now. the screen is all filled in with brown stuff. Again this current screen is 7 inches across the top and 10 inches down. The larger pump will allow me to make the screen bigger if I want. For now I will try to green up this screen, then maybe try a little larger one. Today I scraped off a little excess nutrient from my tank! Here is a pic Thanks Again.

I got the bigger pump, a mag 7. I got 450 gph off the drain. The big site's headloss calculator said 420gph. Pretty close in my opinion. This is a marked improvement on the flow. I will wait a couple weeks and see what grows.
    Bacon. I have a 200 gl tank with 3 small fish. I feed very little. I'm using 4 led fixtures from Expressions.

My current ATS setup, my fourth version, is a single-sided waterfall on a 20 degree angle with a 5" x 11" (w x l) screen using an MJ900 pump (12" head) and three Expression LEDs. This new setup took about 6 weeks to start cranking out green harvests of 125g every 10 days. My PO4 is 0 and NO3 is 3ppm. I'm certainly no expert but I never had much success blasting a screen with 35G per inch of screen width. It appears most of the cascading water just blows down the face of the screen. I have had better algae production running my screen at an angle using a small pump and spray holes vs. slotted. This is just what has worked reasonably well, so far, for me.

CJ, Thanks for the insight, I know what You mean by "blasting water" rushing down the screen. I want to try a wider slot for a thicker,even water column . Every morning I have water squirting away from the screen. I have to giggle it around to get the water to flow down the screen. I will pull it on Friday and see what I have. Thanks again and Best Regards ! Brian

Hello, Checking in. I have the same brown stuff with "A little more green" This is a slow process for sure. Not sure what I will try next. Lots of options !

Administrator
    Well the brownish slime looks like a lack of light in a waterfall. If green is starting, just let it continue. You could also try to move the LEDs closer together so that the middle is brighter, since there is currently no sign of burning.

Thanks, The lighting is another aspect I haven't looked at. I also scrubbed all the brown off. The screen felt very rough to me. I will concentrate the lights ans see what happens. I'm close to building a more narrow container the lights are 2.5 inches away from the screen and must pass thru less than clear acrylic. Thanks! Brian

Ok so I placed the light strips side by side right down the center of the screen. They are as concentrated as possible.

Good Evening, It's been a while since checking in. After moving the light strips side by side, I have a little more green right down the middle but mostly the brown slim stuff. I think it's lighting. I have 250 m/h lights over the display and believe they are out doing the leds on the scrubber. It's time to get rid of the m/h lights and move on . In fact I just ordered leds for the display and waiting on delivery. I'm getting old I guess. I remember under gravel filters then wetdry's were the shit, skimmers were brand new and led lighting was new "untested" technology! LOL

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information