+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phosphate increase after scrubber 0 nitrate

Phosphate increase after scrubber 0 nitrate

Hi

I have been running an ATS for a couple of weeks now. It is a little underpowered but I am working on that. I have noticed that although my nitrate is not measurable I.e. 0 on my test kit, the phosphate has been increasing. The algae on the rock is diminishing, the strands are lighter in colour and weaker and a lot less glass cleaning required. I have read a few threads on this, done the usual google mission.

Is nitrate a limiting factor in the absorption of phosphate by the scrubber. Could phosphate be being pulled out of detritus in the rock and gravel?

Cheers
    Steve

Administrator
    Welcome from the UK.

No I don't think you are ever limited by N or P in an aquarium scrubber. Some scrubbers have zero N, some have zero P, some have zero both, and they all grow great. If some N or P still shows, stronger scrubbing usually takes care of it.

Yours sounds like P has been coming out of the rocks for a while and is almost done. All the rock algae should then come off.

Thanks, good to know I don't need to dose nitrate.

Administrator
    Just remember, that if your scrubber is growing, it's getting the nutrients it needs. More/stronger scrubbing, of course, would remove more and bring the testable-phosphate down further.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information