+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seeding the ATS

Seeding the ATS

I was just doing a bit of daily maintenance on my tank this morning and noticed behind the weir comb, there is a patch of what I suspect is 'Turf Algae' growing happily. It's quite tough and wirey to touch ( not slimey) and a dark reddish brown. I assume this is the stuff we are all attempting to grow on our screens? It's in close proximity to the lights and in a high flow of water, so perfect conditions. It's about 2 inches sq. I've had it grow there before but until discovering this forum, I have consigned it to the 'Green' waste bin, not anymore!

I thought it would be a great way to get the screen 'seeded' by transplanting the algae from the weir overflow onto the screen. I though about fixing it in place with some fishing nylon or sandwich it between the two layers of the screen?

Perhaps those of you with a weir overflow should take a look just behing the comb and see if you have anything growing?

All the best, John ( The Pisces)

Re: Seeding the ATS

Sanwhich in between the two layers!

I had some grow on my mark 1 acrylic sheet screen and when I added the mesh screen it grew through and seeded the rest.

Good to have another UK Scrubber!

Welcome aboard

Hi and thanks for the reply. Yep thats what I thought, between the two screens then it can get a good foothold on both screens at the same time.

Just waiting for a couple of bits of pipe to turn up in the post so I can complete my first scrubber. Bit of free advertising but I found a good supplier of pipes, fittings etc are http://www.fishfurfeather.com here in the UK. Just hope the postal stikes don't hold my delivery up too much!

Cheers

Would have thought B&Q would have been cheaper but thanks for the info i will look them up!

It does seem a little expensive for a low energy bulb but theres quite a bit of work to the bulb itself. Never saw one before that was a replacement for the standard halogen security type bulb, so I was pleasantly suprised when I found it. I also saw the amasing deal at Wickes that another scrubber mentioned, 5 low energy bulbs for 50p....

Not sure what I will use on the other side of the screen yet to light it but it has to be splashproof at the minimum. Looking at a bulkhead fitting from Argos but depends how big a bulb it will take? Retails at £4.99 with a 11w bulb and it's waterproof/splash proof!

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information