+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Preventing air pump backflow

Preventing air pump backflow

So I just got an upflow algae scrubber, but forgot to take into account what would happen if power cuts out, and causes water to flow back through the air hose into the air pump.

I'm not too sure I can trust an airline hose check valve completely. Where do you guys put your upflow scrubber's air pump?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jabeuy; 02-18-2015 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Improved question

Quote Originally Posted by Jabeuy View Post
    So I just got an upflow algae scrubber, but forgot to take into account what would happen if power cuts out, and causes water to flow back through the air hose into the air pump.

I'm not too sure I can trust an airline hose check valve completely. Where do you guys put your upflow scrubber's air pump?

Thanks!
    I have used a check valve with the air pump on the floor of my cabinet without any problems. Now, the airpump manufacturers say you should not have the pump located lower than the water level in the tank or wherever you put the airstone.

The checkvalve I use is part of a dual check valve. Since I usually run it with the side not going to the scrubber slightly open, when the power goes off, there is no siphoning.

You can test this easily by setting stuff up and then taking the airline off your airpump. If you are going to get a siphon, you will see if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by rleahaines View Post
    I have used a check valve with the air pump on the floor of my cabinet without any problems. Now, the airpump manufacturers say you should not have the pump located lower than the water level in the tank or wherever you put the airstone.

The checkvalve I use is part of a dual check valve. Since I usually run it with the side not going to the scrubber slightly open, when the power goes off, there is no siphoning.

You can test this easily by setting stuff up and then taking the airline off your airpump. If you are going to get a siphon, you will see if it happens.
    Thanks for the response. I got set up with a check valve and tried turning off the air supply. No siphon But still, I feel I need more checks in place cause when things go wrong... they really go wrong lol.

I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean by dual check valve? Is that something like a T-line splitter with only one side going to the scrubber and the other slightly open?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information