+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dual Screen Horizontal Scrubber

Re: Dual Screen Horizontal Scrubber

Quote Originally Posted by ThePisces
    Yes indeed, I think it was Thomas Edison who nearly gave up on his development of the domestic light bulb so with him in mind I'm going to endeavour in the building and development of the horizontal ATS for those with limited space or those who have space but prefer that design and try to iron out these problems if they occure.

My current design (actual scrubbing/functional area) is 13.5 inches long and 12 inches wide and less than 5 inches high so quite compact. That incorporates all the lighting ( upto 5 x CFT in a slashproof housing, screen, slipway and outlet pipe.This has been designed for those with a sump or are able to sit it on a small external tank. May do a few little tweeks here and there but looking promising so far.

"Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration."

Thomas Edison
    let just try things if it works then thats good lets get on with it took me a long time to do mine but getting there

Have lighting unit assembled now. Using just 3 x18w CFT which is equivilent to 300w but have made provision for another two CFT if needed.... Nice reddish 2700k glow ops:

Ok need to ask this question for future use. Has anyone found that algae has grown in places OTHER than the screen in any large amount as a result of the lights from the scrubber? If so I think the lighting unit will have to be shielded more which won't be a problem.

Come on Mr Postman I need those pipes!

To be continued

The Pisces

It will grow ANYWHERE it gets wet inside a scrubber.

Hi Kcress, I guess what I mean is algae growth that did not grow prior to the scrubber being installed. Areas which are being illuminated by stray light. Ok may sound like an obvious question but just trying to establish how much growth is 'going to waste' in other areas other than the removeable screen due to poor shielding of the scrubbers lights.

Many thanks for your reply. Had a couple of beers so apologies if I am not making myself clear :roll:

Cheers, The Pisces

No worries mate. Light is like food. it can grow stuff lots of places. However. Since your TS is supposed to be sucking down all the free plant food in your system and out competing everything else, splashed light elsewhere should be weaker and less able to get stuff going elsewhere in the sump etc. Marine life being what it is, may still find a way. I wouldn't worry about it until you see something.

Thanks Kcress, it was a bit of a concern that using the red end of the spectrum bulbs 2700k which are, if not sheilded adequately gong to make algae grow in areas we might not want it to. I guess I was just thinking maybe a little too far in advance and thinking how to focus/sheild all the light so it falls just where we want it to...bit of a self inflicted brainstorming session :idea: Possibly too much fine detail but want max performance from each component.

John, The Pisces

I am planning on building a horizontal 24"W x 48"L scrubber lit by two 48" T8 2 blub(5000K) shop light fixctures set 4 or so inches off and at the same angle as the screen deck. After reading a ton of forum posts, sifting through archives and reading a large number of articles. I have settled on a horizontal design as they seem easiest to maintain once running properly. From what I can see an aggressive drop angle (45-60 degrees) and regular cleaning should eliviate the problems possed by SM.

Good luck in your endeavours!

I have to admit my horizontal design is doing wonder for my tank and I have not as of yet hit any pitfalls.

I also like your idea of two T8's but that would be too big for me!

Please post pics of your progress as I think there are a few of us here who like the horizointal scrubber layout.

Cheers

I was planning on two 2 bulb fixtures (4 lights total). Not too certain I'd get the light saturation I am looking for from just two bulbs on a 24 inch wide trough. The fixtures I am look at are roughly 10 inches wide including the reflector. So side by side the lights would be on the edges of the trough with a 8 or so inch gap in the middle between bulbs. I hypothesize tat this gap will give me a fairly descet intensity drop providing an area in the center of the trough for algal growth that preffers slightly less intense light. While still providing a good area directly under the blulbs for types that preffer direct intense illumination.

tabwyo; Make sure you start your own thread!

Also I think you want to use 2700k not 5000k you should check that though.

You probably don't need that steep an angle. 30 degrees will more than adequate. You really do need edges though on one that long. Edges about 1-1/2 to 2 inches.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information