+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOG3x help

HOG3x help

Hi, Started my HOG3x Feb1.
    Been running on 1/2 LED's for 20 hours a day.

First week, nothing. Second week I rubbed the inside with Green hair algae hoping to seed.

This week is First harvest and cleaned glass. Mostly brown slimey algae, some red cyano and some green hair. Cleaned with toothbrush.

Should I plug in second lights?

My nutrients are low but I stopped GFO and started feeding more.
    Current PO4 - 0.06 (hanna checkker)
    Current Nitrate - 2.5mg/L (salifert)

Had a cyano outbreak in my tank which is now GONE! I think it's doing something
    I currently feed 5 cubes a day - will increase (have 30 fish) Also feed a small sheet of nori once a week (will increase also)

Thanks for the help.

Administrator
    Yes it is definitely time for full power lights, and toothbrushing the slime off in your sink. And no more black cloth, if you still have it on.

Although your phosphate measures low, like the depth of a river, the rate of flow is very high. You probably have lots of phosphate soaked rock, and that phosphate easily starts coming out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	5931
    Day 30 harvest (10 days since last cleaning)
    Also cleaned glass and added a check valve to airline.

Been running both sets of LED for 20 hours per day. Some green algae on top and bottom. Not sure if I should change anything. Just looking for advice.

Thanks

Administrator
    Well a toothbrushing would help. The middle is a little burned, so don't do more hours yet.

Adding some Iron dosing might help too, or feeding lots of nori.

Started adding iron last week, also increase nori sheet feeding from 1x week to 2x week
    Here's 3rd harvest/cleaning at 7 weeks since i've installed the HOG3x

Name:	2015-03-23 11.38.26.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	5967

Got some green algae at bottom and top but mostly yellow in the middle. Not sure what to do?

I can run the 2 sets of lights separately using my apex. Should I cut down to 1 set or maybe just run 2nd set at fewer hours?

Currently run both sets at 19 hours a day.

Administrator
    Yes use low power for a few days; the middle is getting too much light compared to how many nutrients is flowing by.

Also make sure the holes stay open; this type of brown slime tends to block the holes sooner, and when blocked the growth just stays looking like this

Here's the 4th harvest
    Last cleaning was a week ago; total 8 weeks since I've installed the HOG3x
    Currently running 1 set of lights for 19 hours per day.

Name:	2015-03-31 08.59.35.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	5972

After last cleaning I dropped to 1 set of lights for this week. Also, still dosing TFL iron product and I've increased my feeding of Nori. I seem to be getting more of the green hair algae. Had to clean the air hose inside the scrubber (was clogged). I have noticed more of the angel hair brownish green algae in the tank though it does not seem to be affecting anything.

Current nitrates 2.5mg/L (saliftert) and Phosphates 0.03 (hanna) - I realize I have low nutrients and i'm sure it's slowing the progress. Still very happy with the results.

Should I continue with low power lights (1 set)? I was also thinking of just adding the 2nd set for a shorter amount of time per day (say 2-3 hours).

Administrator
    Definitely needs full power. Also you can see where the bubbles are flowing mostly on the right side, so adjust the tubing segments and/or tilt the scrubber so they go more the the left.

Been 10 days since last cleaning.
    This is the 5th harvest/cleaning.
    9 1/2 weeks since I installed the algae scrubber. (approx 65 days)
    Running both sets of lights for 19 hours per day.
    Still supplement iron.
    Nitrates 2.5mg/L
    Phosphates 0.04ppm

Had a lot of algae growth on the glass. Slowly getting more and more green algae in the scrubber. This time noticed more red slimeish looking algae. Also, tilted the scrubber to the right to allow more air bubbles to reach left side of scrubber. I noticed more green in the middle but still getting "burn out" on the left.

Should I wait longer between cleanings?
    Are there any changes you would recommend?
    How do I adjust the tubing segments to increase air on left side? I have to tilt it quite a bit to get the flow on the left.
    One of the strings fell off during the cleaning; Is this normal? I'm using the brush that was provided to clean.

Administrator
    Looking better.

No brush is provided, so just be sure you use a regular toothbrush. One string lost is normal. Just brush around the strings.

Hold the bottom of the tray against the glass as you pull it it; this will scrape the glass clean. If it's not time to harvest yet, you can slide it sideways to a clean section.

Go to 22 hours of light.

Tuck the tubing tabs in on the right, and open them more on the left.

Here are more tips:

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?3216

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information