+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Working with Acrylic...feel free to ask me any questions.

Re: Working with Acrylic...feel free to ask me any questions.

Do you think I could safely put together a box with 3/16-1/4" acrylic that is 17"x4"X" with WHO# 16? It's for my new scrubber. I would want your answer to be based on it being full of water all the time.

ER9 can confirm but I would use the straight solvent not the "glue" WO16.

When you apply #16 to one edge then stick that other edge to some sheet you get ooze out of both sides creating a bead that can be problematic. What happens as you try to get everything lined up and the joint freezes?? This happens very fast an is permanent.

If you are building sumps, etc., you want to put up everything and tape it all together just how you want it. Everything aligned, self supporting, square, and plumb. Then you bring your 'needle applicator' full of the clear water-thin solvent over. You tip it up and hold it to the joints and move it along smartly. You can instantly see the joint suck in the solvent due to surface tension effects. It is very easy. The hardest part is keeping the dang application needle from dripping on the way to and from the actual position you want to use it at. This makes hideous spot marrings where it drips. This is why you want to start with things like sumps where those mistakes mean nothing.

Get a bunch of scrap pieces and practice a wee bit before doing your project. Do this five minutes before doing your actual job. This will get you in the groove.

Use the #16 for those odd jobs or where you are gluing PVC to acrylic. It is also good for gluing some ragged piece to a flat piece or sticking a tag or little square on somewhere where it can't just sit due to gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by zoa
    Do you think I could safely put together a box with 3/16-1/4" acrylic that is 17"x4"X" with WHO# 16? It's for my new scrubber. I would want your answer to be based on it being full of water all the time.
    ipretty much agree with kcress on everything he said. its best used for fittings/odd external items. its messy and difficult to use. that being said it probably would work, although it wouldn't look the greatest aesthetically. i wouldn't personally trust it on anything much larger as i would be concerned of its water tight integrity. that being said i would watch it closely for leaks on a regular basis if you decide to use it and be aware of not placing it or avoid placing it above electrical items that could short in the event of a leak or joint failure. if you can get the solvent it would be better but even solvent glued joints might need silicone to become water tight if you are new to gluing with it. test this thoroughly over a couple day period before finishing your box. it can be frustrating to have a leak spring a week later and have to take everything appart. look for bubbles in your finished glue joints especially in all the corners. these are the most problematic areas.

to avoid drips...squeeze the bottle slightly before tipping it over to create a vacuum until you can get the needle in place. if you drip dont attempt to wipe it off...it will only make it worse. let the drips evaporate and use a general plastic polish with cheesecloth to polish away the blemish after its dried. you will never know it was there.

Thanks for the pre-squeeze tip.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information