+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOG2 Silenced

Banned
    Yes I connected it to the top of the HOG via a short length of airline. I don't think it will connect directly as the outlet pipe would foul on it but I don't see why it wouldn't work if it was connected directly. I was already experimenting with airline in an attempt to reduce the noise so it was attached and I just connected it to the bubble counter. The loop in the airline may also help in silencing. Also I used the sucker the bubble counter came with to attach to the glass in the sump to secure it although you could secure it to the HOG. Depending how your sump or tank is made directly attaching the bubble counter may foul on a strengthening bar above it.

Administrator
    Yes when underwater (where it would normally bubble), anything attached to it would help because it stops the bubbles and brings the air above the surface. But the same thing is done by just sliding the unit up so the exit hole is above the water. If you can, of course.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Yes when underwater (where it would normally bubble), anything attached to it would help because it stops the bubbles and brings the air above the surface. But the same thing is done by just sliding the unit up so the exit hole is above the water. If you can, of course.
    I tried that but you I had to lift it up further than I wanted to stop the spitting sound as the air also pushed out water with it. There is no such problem with the way I have solved the problem and of course I can fully submerge the HOG without the bubbling noise.

Banned
    Quick update. My silencing idea is working a treat. My HOG2 is now completely silent not a gurgle bubbling or spitting sound anymore just complete silence.

Nice! can you post a video I am making a DIY upflow and would love to hear the difference.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Devaji108 View Post
    Nice! can you post a video I am making a DIY upflow and would love to hear the difference.
    I could but it would be pointless as there is nothing to hear and my skimmer although far from noisy would be all you hear.

well my shell has a few holes in the top...guess i'll have to see how it sounds once up and running. the tank will be in my room so if it in in fact bubbly or noisy I will defiantly apply your mod.

where did you get the bubble counter?

OK never mind amazon has them...haha I have never heard of such a thing guess it must be a FW planted thing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Devaji108 View Post
    OK never mind amazon has them...haha I have never heard of such a thing guess it must be a FW planted thing.
    Got mine off eBay. They are not only used for FW but for calc reactors in SW.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information