+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using the algae as food? (fish only)

Using the algae as food? (fish only)

Not sure if this has been covered but I figured its a good question to ask..

Can the removed fresh green algae be used as food for the herbavore fish like Tangs and others? I would think it could?

Pods love it, cant be that nasty?

If the Tangs and others dont prefer it straight up in the tank as food directly, (like lettuce or noori) then maybe you could mix up your OWN food with other meaty foods with the scrapings of fresh algae to make your own Formula type foods?

Anyone try it as food for fish? Did they like it straight up or dropped into the tank?

Re: Using the algae as food? (fish only)

Absolutely! Just keep in mind that you have defeated some amount of nitrate removal when you do that.

Your chubby Yeller tang eats it? Interesting.. if so..

My yellow tang, flame angel and tomatoe clown all love (and fight for) scraps from the ATS. I've been tossing a bit in each week at cleaning time. Saves on the nori bill.

Cool good to hear, when my scrubber starts growing in a bit more I will try it out. Every fish is different but most will probably like it. Better than tossing it? Circle of life kind of thing.. Fish poops, algae grows, algae plucked fed back to fish, fish poops again, turns into algae.... algae...well.. you can see where its headed.. lol

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information