+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: adjustments and cleaning

lighting

Right now my screen is 10x13, knitting canvas roughed up. I have a measured 300 gph flow hitting the scrubber, (335 would be better, 35x10,however that is all I can get out of this pump). I have a true 40 watt spiral cfl on each side, giving me 80 watts.

I see that home depot carries spiral cfl's with 60 true actual watts. Would that be better (120 combined watts) on my screen, or am I ok with the 40 watts. I am getting a darker algal growth, and my levels have gotten better. Just looking to get the most out of it.

Administrator
    I think a real 40 watt CFL is about as much as one side of the screen can take. It should almost be burning the growth on the screen.

Its def a true 40cfl, 27k, or the equivalent of a 150w. I have the tip of the bulb, (end of spiral) about 2 inches from screen, knowing it can burn, I should probably back it up an inch or two.

I was only asking because I remember reading a watt per square inch I believe, which would be 130 watts, or 65 on each side.

Sounds like the 40 watt is where ill stay.

results thus far (5 weeks)

So the last time I checked phosphate and nitrate was a few days ago. Yesterday they measured .35, and I enacted a 25 gallon (25 percent) water change last night. So mathematically my phosphate should have been a .26 when I checked it today (75 percent remaining water X .35 phosphate level is .26) I decided to run a phosphate and nitrate test today, my nitrates were 0, and my phosphate was a .19 on the checker, in back to back test. My growth, although still not GHA, is dark again after cleaning it from just three days ago. So I suppose in the last 24 hours, it has knocked phosphate down from .26 down to .19.

Looks as if it is going in right direction. Certainly my nitrates have for for the first time shown a yellow color on the API kit. (zero)

Two of the last pieces of rock i have put in display are turning green. Interestingly enough, the other 50lbs of rock or so is newer than 6 months old. THe last two I have put in are from an old tank, that was high in phosphate.

phosphate dropping, now algae on glass

My measurable phosphate have definitely been dropping, from 1.06 a month ago, down to .16 on hanna checker now.

However, for the first time today, I notice I am getting a green dusting on the glass, that easily falls off with the magnet cleaner going over it. Is this commonly seen, and what could the possible cause be of it?

Thanks

Administrator
    Use this thread for your posts.

Lower nutrients will grow a lighter green growth, including on your glass. Growth on the glass will always occur, but will take longer before it needs cleaning as your nutrients come down.

Okay so what I am seeing is to be expected

Administrator
    Yes

SM--

I havnt done a water change in about 7 days. My phosphates read .11, on back to back to occasion 24 hours ago.

My girlfriend was over before, and she wanted to see how the testing worked. I ran the hanna checker again, and my PO4 read .04 on the checker (from .11 a day ago)

Is something seem out of wack with the meter, or could it be the algae, which is growing lighter in color now, is taking hold?

A few weeks ago, when I added the reagent, it would turn neon blue instantly. Now even after meter has run its 3 minute timer, it is very clear, as if i didnt add the reagent.

Cause for concern or celebration?

Administrator
    Sounds like it's working.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information