+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: adjustments and cleaning

Hello SM, et all

Two questions I have regarding ATS.

Firstly, I checked my phosphate yesterday and today, and both times, using same testing procedure, I tested 0.00. I am feeding quite heavy. Any suggestions on how to get it to .03 like people suggest, or should I live it and assume there are some po4, just not detectable by Hannah checker?

Secondly, a friend of mine took down a tank, and gave me his mag 9.5. I hooked it up in my tank, removing my mag 7. to get more GPH to the display. I adjusted ballvalve accordingly, and measured how long ATS line took to fill a 5 gallon bucket (57 seconds, which gives me about 320 gph through the screen. However, compared to where I had it at 300 gph, it seems some of the water doesn't touch the screen, but kind of falls around it.

Could it be 20 gph difference was enough to be too much, or am I over thinking it?

And lastly, it could be my metal halide lighting, however even when they are off, my water seems very foggy. A white fog, where its tough to see from one end of the tank to the other (4 foot tank) Its not green, so I cant say its the green algae tinting it, but apparently something is.

My nitrates are zero, as well as measurable phosphate, so I doubt its anytime of bacterial bloom.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Administrator
    There are always nutrients in your water. Fish pee, and fish and coral and microbe respiration put constant ammonia and urea in, and it converts quickly. So if you want, you can feed more. But you don't need to have measurable tests.

Would need to see a vid of the flow. Might be too strong and is shooting to the end, or might actually be weaker.

The fog may be from lime that got let go from your pump change. Nevertheless, it will go away. If you are not dosing vodka/carbon, then it won't hurt anything.

Well I see I have no way to up load video here. I suppose I can leave it as is, and just test periodically, and if numbers start rising, then slow flow down.

And the fog in the tank has been over a week now, long before I put in used pump. I don't have a uv light to clear it up, and I always thought a bacterial bloom was too many nutrients, not from having not enough.

Perhaps I just came down to quick, and bacterial colonies are adjusting accordingly?

Administrator
    You can use youtube.

Not sure about the fog, but if the fish are not going to the surface to breath, they are ok. All fogs clear up either by settling of particles, or consumption of bacteria by microbes and corals.

No surface breathing, I'm turning tank over about 30x an hour, plus surface agitation, o2 has to be up.

My ats is still producing slime type stuff, ranging from dark and lighter areas.

I thought with low nutrients, (0 nitrate and 0 phosphate) it would grow lighter in color?

Is there something other than po4 and n03 nutrient wise I am not able to measure?

Administrator
    Would need pics of the growth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information