+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The project begins!!

The project begins!!

Started my HORIZONTAL scrubber today!

I have the tray made on which the screen will sit which is 22 inches long and made from twin wall polycarbonate sheet that is used for roofs on conservatories, greenhouses etc.It has side walls of about an inch high to keep the flow moving in the right direction. It's just over the width of the plastic canvas 10.5 inches so a potential scrubbing area of 231 sq inches on a single side! Also in the process of making a splash proof light housing that will hold up to 5 possibly 6 low energy bulbs. I have designed it so I can add more bulbs if need be and it won't take up any more room as a result. I think I shall start with 3 x 18w maybe two ( 100w) and go from there?

It can be placed at the same angle as the tray and at any height above the tray from 1inch to 12inches with full coverage of the 13.5 x 10.5 inch screen! Am going to see how one screen performs but can easily add more screens either sandwiched or end to end to make the full use of the tray. All are held in place by a plastic pin which you simply push the screens on through a hole which is in the screen itself, so there is no restriction of the flow of water being emmited onto the screen, easy as pie!

Still waiting for the postal system to get back to normal as still no sign of the pipes I ordered a week ago this Monday! When the pipe arrives I was pondering on the idea of pointing the flow of water coming out of the pipe up the incline which will be placed about two/three inches down from the start of the slope and so 'hopefully causing the water that is coming down meeting the water going up a more turbulent flow, hopefully slightly pulsed? Hope that makes sense? We shall see!

Will post photos before I install it and after providing I can work out how to upload the piccies?

Happy Scrubbing everyone!

Re: The project begins!!

I just spent 2 hours explaining how to upload and post picturers to the web/forums.. here...

I am requsting full Mature scrubber pics on this thread, and my first 4 posts are trying to help people learn how to upload pictures and post them online in this forum or anywhere else, so we can get lots of pictures on it....

HTH

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=346

also when you are up and running come back to my thread with your new upload skills take some nice shots of your mature scrubber and postem!

Ok when all is assembled and running I will get some nice piccies for all to see. Will get the 'Other half' to sort the uploads if i can't sort it as she's the computer boffin round here.

The Pisces

We have lift off!

We have lift off! All assembled and running. My horizontal scrubber has been running for about 1 hour and 30 mins( time now 22:43 GMT) All looking good and I have fantastic turbulent flow over a full 22in x10in screen with 54w of CFT (300w equivalent). Practically no splashing, and noise is barely detectable. Have lights to within 4 to 5 inches an due the the white acrylic box housing the lights have a very even spread of light. Had to do a bit of fine tuning today regarding how to get a good spread of water from the outlet pipe but cracked that problem.

Have taken some photos so will try to get them posted tomorrow with a few more details of how I went about my design for a sump based horizontal scrubber.

Thanks to all of you on this site who have given me the ideas (and challenged my approach,thanks SM) for what I hope will be a very effective(and very cheap) design for a H.A.T.S ..Horizontal Algae Turf Scrubber....with a slight incline of a about 15 degrees.

I will try to give a day by day account of how the scrubber develops and how the aquarium parametres change.

The Pisces

Ok well have my horizontal ATS running now and have a few piccies to share. It's been running for 12 hours now and all going well. Did a few fine tweeks this morning so now 100% happy with it. I reckon it has cost me less than £5 ($10) to make and that includes the CFT which cost me 49p for five 18w (100w) low energy at Wickes ( UK) Have to say I thought they were cheap but just yesterday I nearly fell over in disbelief when I found them even cheaper at Morrisons....get this.....five for......20p..I kid you not! I bought enough CFT's to last me a lifetime!

Anyway here are a few photos of my horizontal (15 degree incline) ATS.[attachment=2:19hp45eu]Lightbox additional CFT.JPG[/attachment:19hp45eu][attachment=1:19hp45eu]Lightbox Bottom View.JPG[/attachment:19hp45eu][attachment=0:19hp45eu]Lightbox Rear view.JPG[/attachment:19hp45eu]

Ok lets see if this works, more to follow...
    Attached Images Attached Images

More photo's....[attachment=2:hc6fztfo]Lightbox Top View.JPG[/attachment:hc6fztfo][attachment=0:hc6fztfo]Lightbox with vent holes.JPG[/attachment:hc6fztfo][attachment=1:hc6fztfo]Lightbox with reflector fitted.JPG[/attachment:hc6fztfo]

More to follow.....

[attachment=2:2idw5nmi]Lightbox,screen and outlet pipe.JPG[/attachment:2idw5nmi][attachment=1:2idw5nmi]Outlet pipe and screen.JPG[/attachment:2idw5nmi][attachment=0:2idw5nmi]Outlet pipe with anti-splash guard.JPG[/attachment:2idw5nmi]

More to follow......

I like it!

Only suggestion is get some mirror or other reflective into the light box. Any light coming through the box is being wasted.

Keep up the good horizontal work!

Thanks, have added baking foil as a reflector. The opaque white acrylic reflects a great deal of light on it's own and disperses the light very evenly across the screen. More pics to follow.

The Pisces

Oops, I think our posts crossed in the ether!

Now I think it looks great! I like the way your assembly room is full of clutter! Thought it was just me!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information