+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The project begins!!

Re: The project begins!!

[attachment=0:29nqtkhp]Tray,two screens.JPG[/attachment:29nqtkhp]

I have one more photo of the screen/tray prior to installation but the file is too big...ahhh anyone no how to reduce the file size?

Hope it's looks good so far. Mechanics of it work far better than I though it would. Sitting patiently now and waiting for that turf to grow!

If you look at the side walls which keeps the water where it needs to be, you can see the waves up against it and volume of water that is being produced.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not getting a good feel of how the whole thing is set up. Got a pulled back shot that shows everything?

I'll see what i can do...just got my camera phone which isn't the greatest. I'll get a photo of the outside of cabinet so you can get an idea of how compact the whole thing is.

The Pisces

[attachment=1:1slhppo6]External view left hand.JPG[/attachment:1slhppo6][attachment=0:1slhppo6]Light unt showing boths screens.JPG[/attachment:1slhppo6][attachment=0]Light unt showing boths screens.JPG

I have two photo's whose file size is too big, tried to zip them but wont work on here.

Lower screen is just 'laying there' at the moment. Need to get another plactic pin the attach same as upper screen. Note the plactic peg which holds upper screen in place but allows simple removal, screen just slips over peg through small hole.

Lower screen is just there to reduce splashing and noise. Added bonus if algae grows there too but upper screen big enough for size of tank. May double up on upper screen as have plenty of flow!

Hi Kcress, I saw on your design how you had your outlet pipe spraying onto the top of screen. I found that the 1/8th inch slot delivery system as used for a verticle scrubber did not give an even spread of water. The outlet pipe you can see in the photo has a short lenght of 20 mm pipe inserted into elbow joint so I can adjust precisely the way the water hits the screen. I originally had just the 90 degree elbow but the splashing and noise was too great. By adding the length of pipe splashing was cut to near zero and noise vanished. It also spread the water evenly across the entire screen and created a wall of water which backs up against the barrier at top of screen to create a wave like action. No problems with flow at all and very quiet.

Have just replaced the polycarbonate screen that the light unit is sitting on with a 4 mm sheet of glass. This has brought the lights even closer as the original protective screen was a good 1/2 thick. Not much difference and may swap back or source a sheet of thin clear perspex as not keen on loose sheets of glass in there.

The Pisces

[attachment=1:13gpalvc]Tray In Sump.JPG[/attachment:13gpalvc][attachment=0:13gpalvc]Tray With Screen.JPG[/attachment:13gpalvc]

A couple more photos showing more detail of components.

Thanks for the new pictures. Those pulled-back shots were what I needed. Thanks.

BTW. To reduce your pictures to something that fits better I use a program called "PhotoResize-400.exe"

It's an outstanding program.
    Get it here: http://www.rw-designer.com/NT/4.0/PhotoResize400.exe

Here's how you use it.

There is nothing to install. Stick it anywhere you want it.
    To resize a jpg just drag it onto the name/icon PhotoResize400.exe

Whatever jpg you drag on to it will be resized to whatever number is in the name - in this case "400".
    The resized image will be placed in the same location as the file you dragged on. It will have "-400" appended to the name. It doesn't screw with the original.

If you want the pictures reduced to any other value just change the name to "500" or whatever, (600, 1600, 1234, ? , ?)

If you drag a whole directory onto it every file in the directory will have a size modified copy placed back in it.

Administrator

I found that the 1/8th inch slot delivery system as used for a verticle scrubber did not give an even spread of water.
    It is self-adjusting; algae grows up into the areas of larger flow, and slows it down.

Tray material ( Polycarbonate) has slight ribbed effect so helps to break up boundary layer
    Boundary layer is mostly broken up with faster, thinner, flow. Surges also work, but are another story. Your ribbed material will have zero flow once the algae fills in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information