+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The project begins!!

Re: The project begins!!

And I quote.

It is possible to get a horizontal working properly, but it takes more skill. ....SM

Un-quote

I could not agree more.

Ok as promised a current situation update. Did tests on parameters to see what they are prior to ATS kicking in.

Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20
    Phosphate 3.0...yes 3.0! Have a couple of corals sulking and cleaning glass more often than I want to. This was primary reason for the implimentation of the ATS.
    pH 8.4

ATS has been running for approx 48 hours as at 14th Oct 22:00 GMT

Seeded screen with a lovely chunk of turf I found at the top of my weir/overflow. Placed that under upper screen.

Tweaked the lower screen today. I have practically NO water noise and NO splashing. Just strong laminar very even flow across the screens. Flow is if anything too strong.Using a Nujet 1700 litres an hour pump. Can reduce it to 1000 litres per hour

Tray is angled at 15 degrees.

3 x 18w Philips CFT's ( equivilent to 100w each) 300w total at 4-5 inches from screen ( Can move much closer). Light period 18 out of 24.

Removed all filter floss.

Still have good growth of Macro's in DSB area. Expecting them to die off when ATS matures.

UV unit is now removed from cabinet( see photos). I was thinking of running the flow through the UV unit but not switched on. I was going to see if the UV had any affect on the POD population...see where I'm going with that? Desided against it as it reduced my water compression at the outlet.

Well done! You certainly got that up and running quickly - keep us posted on the screen progress.

Don't want to rain on the parade but is polycarbonate sheeting reef safe? I don't have any experience (nor have ever read before now) of it's use. I know that polycarbonate bottles for babies were restricted / banned due to BPA leaching (affects hormones in humans). Don't know if it's in the roof sheeting and would leach and don't know if it would cause problems with the reef if it did. Lot's of 'if's I know but I'd hate not to post and then hear of problems!

Does anyone have any expert knowledge or experience on this?

I used to work in the plastics industry and later healthcare and then just added to my knowledge via google and....

Polycarbonate should be 'Biologically Inert' and due to this is used in medical applications.

I would think, but do not have a full understanding, that it should be fine.

Hope this helps, but google it just to be sure.

Unfortunatley though polycarbonate is sometimes used as a sweeping statement to cover many plastics so it might be worth a trip to B&Q to see what the sticker describes the sheeting as and google that type of plastic for more information.

I think its pretty much safe as it's roofing grade Polycarbonate which is not effected UV light. The stuff I am using is almost as hard as glass.

Latest update and I am amased!!!!

The Nitrate was 20ppm...one week later 5 - 10 ppm !!!!
    Phosphate was recorded at 3.0 in my last post..my error. It should have read 0.3> It is now 0.25<
    Nitrites 0 no change
    Ammonia 0 no change

I seeded the screen with a piece of turf that I found in the weir/overflow. It has more that doubled in size in less than a week and is sprouting out all over!

The rest of the screen is covered in various shades of reddish brown algae with tinges of green.

I am finding that the lower half of the screen which is not so brightly lit is getting more growth on it than the screen which is directly under the lights?

I have absolutely noticed in a short time that my Sarcophyton Elegans which has been very withdrawn for months with little or no polyp extention is looking much more alive and polyp extention is improving. It is very noticeable.

The Critter count in my DSB has exploded!

Water clarity has improved despite the complete removal of ALL fliter media. Water enters the 3ft sump where it is either pumped straigt over the ATS screen or takes a slower route over the DSB area before returning to main tank.

The Calupra in the DSB has exploded too as a result, I expect, of the increased red spectrum lighting?

All this in less than a week and I have not yet achieved a full screen of turf algae just a patch which is now approx 4 x 4 inches on both sides of the screen. Please remember I am only using a single screen on a Horizontal ATS and growth is incredible.

I think I will be able to reduce the 3 x18w CFT's ( 300w total) to 2 and replace one with a 11w? I think I have too much light if anything? The white acrylic lightbox is amplifying the light greatly.

I have also noticed the colouration and activity in the all my fish has improved.

I am only running my Protien Skimmer for the 6 hours when the lights on the ATS are off each day. This will cease all together when I have a full head of steam on the ATS.

Going to clean screen today to remove 50% of brown/red algae. 21st October 13:12 GMT.

To be continued......

[attachment=2:3e1x4ge9]HATS 5.JPG[/attachment:3e1x4ge9][attachment=1:3e1x4ge9]HATS 36.JPG[/attachment:3e1x4ge9][attachment=0:3e1x4ge9]HATS 37.JPG[/attachment:3e1x4ge9]

Photos taken on the 16th and 17th of Oct. Note rapid growth over 1 day! 16th to 17th Oct
    Attached Images Attached Images

[attachment=1:1hik9p2a]DSC00562.JPG[/attachment:1hik9p2a][attachment=0:1hik9p2a]DSC00564.JPG[/attachment:1hik9p2a]

Note massive increase in the patch of turf algae and general overall growth in just 4 days. Compare this to photos taken on 16th and 17th Oct.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice results and brilliant test results!

One week in and the difference sounds fantastic!

Not wanting to open old wounds but the horizontals seem to get started so much quicker them verticals as there are many posts from vertical users who see no growth after weeks!

Maybe there is a reason for this that someone can explain?

Well done and happy scrubbing!

Yes funny yo should mention that RTM... Verticles taking longer, well ChrisD had a few issues with the outlet getting blocked on his. Hope you got it sorted anyway Chris?

Yes massive growth and can see the difference overnight. No Blocking of flow and running like clockwork! Results speak for themselves and so early into my project...am impressed to say the least.

Last two photos showing with and without water flow. I'm getting flow on both sides as screen is partly floating on a bed of water.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information