+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting NEW tank with ATS only advice PLZ

Starting NEW tank with ATS only advice PLZ

Hey Guys,
    I have been out of the reefing game for about 2 years now. but I have a place where I can have another tank. so I decided on a 40/40 instead of setting my 75 back up. this way when I move again I for sure can fit in no matter where I move. ( in theory anyway)

I have been wanting to do ATS only tank for a while I really like the idea and it makes since to me. hopefully it will have the results I am looking for.

so the tank is going to focus on gorgonians , softies LPS and maybe a few Macros (not sure they will grow with a ATS tank. ) also will do a few select SPS like birds nest & monti.

So from what I have researched there is not much if any info on stating tanks OFF with ATS. I will be using rally nice aquacultered FL. LR with tons of live on it. dry sand. special grade reef floor. have it in my 75 love it. just have it a good rinse yesterday.

I made an UPflow ATS a while back then could not set up the tank. its a I believe 2 cubes a day (as I was thinking of doing seahorses ) about 6 x 4 single sided. with 2 cree red 660 LEDs driving at 350ma. I have room for more LEDs on my heat sink if need be. I believe my driver can push up to 4.

so what is the best lighting schedule to start off with? 12hr? 17hr? 1hr on 1hr off?

Oh and what about running carbon? how often or if at al? I don't want yellow water...but don"t need supper SPS clean water either.

so any thoughts feedback about setting up a new tank off of ATS would be great.

Administrator
    Starting with a scrubber is better than adding one later, because you won't get an overload black growth. Growth in a new tank will be very little, until you feed more.

Add more LEDs to your light. If they are 1 watt LEDs, try to change to 3 watt, driven at least 500 ma. 18 hours.

Carbon is up to you.

Hey Sm,
    yeah the cree LEDs are the 3watts each. so you think i should still add a 3rd?
    I believe the highest my driver can push is 350 ma if I remember right. yeah I just check it, it's the moon light driver from rapid LED. so I can push 1-4 but only @ 350 ma

so until i get some growth should I stick with 2 or just get a 3rd from the get go?

So if I run carbon what have you guys found is the best way?
    filter reactor
    HOB filter
    or just a bag of carbon in a DIY reactor of sorts fed from a T off overflow?

Administrator
    350 is way low for 3 watt leds. Might as well get a driver that can do 500 or 600, for 4 leds.

I'm a fan of just hanging bags in and letting them sway around. Takes longer, but is easier.

Oh man that sucks I thought i got the right driver..booo started an upflow ATS build about a year ago. was nice and small to.
    so what driver do you guys recommend?

Administrator
    Any 500 or 600 ma LED driver; there are many on ebay, and we have ours here:
    http://www.santa-monica.cc/LED-driver_p_58.html

OK thanks SM I might have one around need to look through my fish goodies boxes to see.

well shit I cracked my tank trying to drill it. boooo
    so until I decided about a replacement. I am gonna get my DIY upflow ATS working.
    what do you think about setting it up in the sump for a while and feed it. could help with the process right. get that 1st week or so of growth, then when I add the DT it will be faster.

Administrator
    Yea drilling is tough.

You can start in the sump, if you put a fish in there to make some ammonia. Otherwise it won't grow much at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information