+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY scrubber in a leaflet box

Banned

DIY scrubber in a leaflet box

Been trial and error DIYing today and built this small waterfall scrubber. So far the water seems well spread across the screen. I go the idea from here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS24...ist=WL&index=6
    I have used an A5 leaflet holder as it is the biggest I can accommodate in my Aqua Reef 300 sump.

I have ordered this light to power it.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2913996713...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    I have also ordered some mirror plastic to attach to the back of the holder in the hope some light will be reflected back against the rear of the screen to get some algae growing there but not sure it will relect enough to be of use.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1216498197...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Administrator
    Once the screen fills in, the reflector won't have much to reflect. However why not put a light on the back side.

Banned
    [QUOTE=SantaMonica;37934]Once the screen fills in, the reflector won't have much to reflect.[/QUOTE}
    Yeah I was thinking that might be the case but worth a try ..maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    However why not put a light on the back side.
    It's a matter of space in my sump. I will wait for the first light to arrive and trial it in the space I have and if I have enough room I will order another.

Banned
    I have installed my 2nd LED unit and cleaned the scrubber after a week to remove the dark slime like algae.
    Here are a few pic's of my install. Look closely for the RH light.

A better pic showing my ATS set up with skimmer cup removed. I don't have a lot of room in my sump.

One of my LED's mounted on the DIY rig.

http://s541.photobucket.com/user/les...tml?sort=3&o=2

I will report of progress and sorry I didn't take a pic of the scrubber screen before I did the first clean.

Seems a great idea to keep it running quieter and less splashing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yanton View Post
    Seems a great idea to keep it running quieter and less splashing.
    Quiet as a mouse and I am using a powerhead to feed it that I already had not sure what it is rated at but seems to be doing the job fine.

Banned
    We have the beginnings of GHA. Pic was taken 5 days after the first cleaning which was a brow slim type. My 20w LED unit is 5" away from the screen on this side.

However on the other side of the scree I am getting a darker growth probably because my second 20w LED unit is just 3.1/2" away from the screen. I cannot move it further away but I could change the LED unit b purchasing a 10w LED unit if neeed. I guess I should leave it a little while longer but your thoughts please.

EDIT I have now found away of equalising the distance the lights are from the screen and they are now both 5.1/2" away from it. I will see what affect that has on the screen shwoing daker growth.

2nd EDIT Answer. Put the pipe from the tank in front of the lighting rig and move the rig back. Cut the corenr of the leaflet box away so the box can go back and under the ball valve which was stopping it going back any further. Now we have equal spacing of the lights from the scrubber screen both 5.1/2" away.

Administrator
    Darker growth would be from less light, not more. In your case the darker growth was from more flow on that side.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Darker growth would be from less light, not more. In your case the darker growth was from more flow on that side.
    Thanks SM. I can move the screen and lights to suite much better now. The pump I am using is rated at just 400ltrs an hour so not over or very powerful I would have thought.

Banned
    10 days on and one cleaning of the screen of the expected brown slime like algae and GHA starting to grow already.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information