+ Reply to Thread

Thread: feeding pappone

feeding pappone

I was wondering about feeding something like Pappone. It calls for 1 tablespoon of sugar in the recipe and to add aminos before feeding. I have read SM say that carbon dosing is fine in small amounts without a skimmer but is this still to much? Also do you recommend using aminos maybe in a smaller dose? I know algae provides a sugar source and aminos but would the corals benefit from extra? Would it make sense to to use this recipe the way it says? I have no skimmer and I would just be using the sugar as a food source, not to bring down N and P.

Administrator
    Welcome.

The blended seafood that makes up Pappone is of course great coral food, and amino acids are not going to hurt either. The only limitation to feeding, is your filtration. Carbon however will be limited by oxygen levels at first, and bacterial slime buildup later.

I've only dosed vodka, not sugar, so I could not tell you the sugar levels that would be ok with oxygen. As for sugar being used to make more bacteria as a food source, you might try the Pappone first without the sugar for a few months, then with, and look for a difference.

feeding pappone

Thanks SM,
    Do you think it would be more beneficial to add aminos or more food?

Administrator
    Well food already has amino's, and it feeds all the other pods and life too, so I would do food.

Well I did some testing with sugar dosing and thought I would report back in case anyone is interested. What I noticed was a much larger feeding response from the corals when I would just drop a few grains of sugar in the water. This has been a larger feeding response than when I dump in a handful of zooplankton or a bunch of Pappone without sugar. Hopefully no bacteria mats grow, the oxygen levels seem fine.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information