+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strage UAS growth

Strage UAS growth

Hello,

Here are two images of the extremely disgusting thingie (slime?) that keeps growing on my twin UAS since they were installed more than 1 month ago. I clean them every 4-5 days, hoping the healthy green growth will appear, but it seems not the case.
    Any idea what it is, and how can I get it replaced faster with the right algae?

Thanks,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	algae.jpg‎
Views:	499
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	6235   Click image for larger version

Name:	scrubbers.jpg‎
Views:	438
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	6236  

Administrator
    Looks like one of the screens is not getting bubbles.

Nutrients are high in your water, and you are getting slime:

Thanks for answering! Can I find a larger resolution image of the slime? It's hard for me to distinguish between the various types in the image above
    The nutrients are :
    NO3 ~ 6 - Salifert
    PO4 ~ 0.3 - Hanna

Light box left-side: 10pcs 1W 660nm China LEDs
    Light box right-side: 10pcs mixture of cool white(Cree) and 660nm China LEDs

On the inside of the sump, the white boxes surrounding the screens are used for both reflecting back light and preventing algae grow elsewhere. They have large openings on booth sides for easier water circulation (~3cm/sec).
    Would it help if I increase the flow rate, or lighting?

Administrator
    Definitely needs more red LEDs. The screen looks like 15 x 20 cm. At the very least, the LEDs you have should be 3 watts each, and be 660 nm Red. But could probably take twice that much light.

Dark Slime and Black Slime - what it looks like:

Here are some examples of dark slime, and black slime. Usually slime it starts on new scrubbers which have high measurable nutrients in the water, or on small scrubbers on big tanks with lots of rock where the scrubber is not big enough to pull the nutrients out fast enough.

Notice that some of them have white patches; this is because the slime let go and floated away, leaving white surfaces behind.

In all cases, just take it to your sink and toothbrush them (without toothpaste) so that you can see the white surfaces again.

Thank you for the images!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information