+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting yellow slime

Getting yellow slime

http://i.imgur.com/R2deQ1a.jpg

after the first round of this scrubber not working as expected, sun baked the screen, deep cleaned and started over from a fresh near white screen.

This is what I was getting. Results havent changed much either.

Now I am continually getting some micro bead looking algae in the corners and a thick yellow slime -again- on it with no GHA after 2-3 weeks now. Really frustrating seeing all the success stories and I get this.

Currently at 14 hour photoperiod with a fusion 700 pump at full blast. have to angle the screen significantly to better get movement across most of the screen (doesnt cover it all, ever).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150822_153513.jpg‎
Views:	369
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	6241  

Administrator
    Looks great for a new one; is pulling out lots of nutrients in order to make the dark proteins there.

Toothbrush the slime off in your sink, and run for 22 hours, and let's see it in 7 to 10 days.

22 hour light on for 7-10 days?

Administrator
    Yes that sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Looks great for a new one; is pulling out lots of nutrients in order to make the dark proteins there.

Toothbrush the slime off in your sink, and run for 22 hours, and let's see it in 7 to 10 days.
    SM...I'm confused by this. Researching this forum, I'm seeing that yellow in the middle means light is too strong so the solution would be to either turn down light intensity (turn down, cover with cloth, or distance), or reduce light hours. Yet, you're saying for this example to increase light hours to resolve the dark proteins which I understand...but won't the middle get even more yellow with increased light hours? In other words, with the yellow algae in the middle, how would increasing the light time result in a nice and even growth throughout the screen? Please clarify. I wish OP posted another pic after trying your suggestion. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanYWG View Post
    SM...I'm confused by this. Researching this forum, I'm seeing that yellow in the middle means light is too strong so the solution would be to either turn down light intensity (turn down, cover with cloth, or distance), or reduce light hours. Yet, you're saying for this example to increase light hours to resolve the dark proteins which I understand...but won't the middle get even more yellow with increased light hours? In other words, with the yellow algae in the middle, how would increasing the light time result in a nice and even growth throughout the screen? Please clarify. I wish OP posted another pic after trying your suggestion. Thanks.
    SM...disregard my question above...just found an older reply you gave to an older thread with a near similar issue..."On an upflow scrubber, some types of yellow means it needs more light. This would make sense because if it's growing dark slime in some places, because that slime will let go and leave behind white patches like you have. Also reduce the airflow, because it is washing away that slime."

Administrator
    His was not yellow, it was dark.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    His was not yellow, it was dark.
    pyrocide also thought it looked like "thick yellow slime" in the center in his first post, as I also thought. Sorry, just clearing my my thought process; yellow means too much light/ dark green means need more light.

Unless you're saying that the majority of his screen was dark green which I can agree on, it would make sense to increase light time. Right?

Thanks.

Administrator
    Correct.

Yellow slime is bright yellow.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information