+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UAS for aquamedic cubicus

Administrator
    Try both, and see what happens.

I am currently running both indeed. I first tried 2x15w and got some growth 18 hours on, 6 hours off.
    There are some patches of green stuff growing on the glass now;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20151113_195027.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	6304

Incredibly.. the red slime has VANISHED... i am amazed how fast the cyano disappeared after some algea started to grow.. I decided to buy 2 new type led grow spots. Both have 5 x 3w bridgelux full-spectrum leds. These leds cover 400 - 840nm.. (loads in the red spectrum and a bit in the blue) I decided to give it a try as nobody replied to my topic on COB leds.. I guess these type of lights are too intense as I need to place them pretty close to the screen. however these bridgelux leds seem nice so I will give it a try.

Administrator
    Nice to hear. Yes cyano needs nutrients too, and if the nutrients are not there...

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Nice to hear. Yes cyano needs nutrients too, and if the nutrients are not there...
    It sure is, a little algae can make a big difference!! What do you think about the bridgelux 400-840nm leds? They cover a wide area of the red spectrum and a bit of blue. I have a silimar bulb with 4x 660nm and 1x 455nm.. I wonder which will grow algae better.. I assume the 660nm because that is the best wavelength for algae.. but I do wonder if the broader range in the red spectrum will benefit the algae. COB leds have a simmilar range.. but I guess they are to strong to position close to the glass (else light will reach the tank to if I would increase the distance). The bridgelux on the other hand are not like COB so i'll give them a try

Name:	Screenshot_2015-11-21-08-03-51.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	6309

Name:	Screenshot_2015-11-20-19-38-15.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	6310
    I also noticed the COB leds are slightly different.. the red spectrum does not go as deep compared to these (although the graphs above should be the same, but are not the same if you look at the peak of the blue)

Administrator
    There are too many variables; just try them and see.

Small update, the tank had some ups and downs.. I overfed and got quite a bit of hair algae in the tank instead of the scrubber. Scrubber has been growing green hair algae but it is turning yellow so I decided to switch off the lights for a few more hours and see how that goes. Some pictures;

Name:	20151213_132307.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	6331Click image for larger version

Name:	20151212_094026.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	6332Click image for larger version

Name:	20151214_211039.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	6333

I dedided to change the setup. I will go for a *surf* style scrubber and try to make one myself.. although I will be using plastic canvas anyway and make a casing out of pvc, I also need to see if I can purchase some of those (nylon?) strings anywhere.. if not i'll try some vertical rows with canvas. I am strill wondering about the holes in the bottom and put an airtube underneath.. what if I creat a jet airlift with some pvc tubes and let the water & air mixture run over the canvas from the side, would that work? I guess the algae would attach much better with the increased flow. What do you think santa monica? Obviously the contact time with the algae will be much shorter.. as long as the algae is pulling nutriunts out of ths wated at the same pace I guess the netto result is the same.

Administrator
    Yes you can build it that way. You do not need much water flow, however; you mostly need air bubbles.

Thank you for the feedback! I guess that would be difficult to achieve.. air will rise up and not pass the algae. I'll go with the normal setup.. however.. I wondered about the following: santa monica you make 4 holes and place the airtube right underneat 2 of them... what if I would lengthen the casing pass by the bottom and put an airstone underneath? The air cannot escape because of the casing (I got this idea from my fresh whater tank, using a diy co2 system and flipping a box upside down in the water and let the co2 collect underneath). I guess many airbubbles will reach the algae that way and I can drill multiple holes in the bottom.. Would that work? Of should I stick with your original idea? I tend to use your design because I am unsure what works and what will not..

Administrator
    Yes you can use an airstone if all the bubbles will be routed up through the holes. You will still want some holes that don't get bubbles though, so the water can drain back down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information