+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: methane?

Administrator
    The soda probably just helped the Alk, which is consumed by algae when it grows fast.

Also, the growth on the plastic can happen with slime types of algae like is currently growing, because there is no strong pull on the algae. But as longer Spirogyra hairs attach, they will not be able to hold on to the bare plastic.

Nov28 Water params:

1. pH: 7.2 (Note: I added about 1/4 tsp baking soda on Nov23 to account for additional water added to keep the tank topped up)
    2. Ammonia (NH3): 0.0
    3. Nitrite: 0.0
    4. Nitrate: 20.0
    5. Phosphate: 1
    6. dKH: 4 (~70ppm KH)
    7. Calcium: 380ppm

I have not changed water since Nov11, although I have added about 500ml this week to keep the water topped up. Nitrates have not decreased measurably yet, but phosphate continues to decrease. I expect phosphate will hit 0.0 before next weekend and hopefully the algae will start eating nitrate. The algae grew much thicker this past week than previously. So it looks like maintaining pH at 7.0 or above is good for the algae.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02529-800x600x72.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	6315 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02530-800x600x72.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	6316

The soda probably just helped the Alk, which is consumed by algae when it grows fast.
    I've also started measuring dKH and Calcium. I supplement calcium using white chalk sticks. The snails are much more active now with the increased pH and calcium.

The initial issue of this thread seems to have resolved itself. There is still a slight odor, but it does not smell noxious at all any more. The snails seem quite happy. I am not going to put my Dwarf Gourami back in the tank, though, until the nitrates is below 5.0. Anyhow, I copied my above post of today to my original log post for my 2 drops. I will continue to report on my periodic water tests in that thread.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information