+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Some Expert oversight on my scrubber design.

Need Some Expert oversight on my scrubber design.

So I have done a ton of reading and i now have a plan for my third attempt at an algae scrubber.

The first one was in 2004. A lot has changed since then....

The second one didnt last long because during the wet test it was too loud and I never completed the scrubber build for the tank.

This third version is being build from scratch and will be completed before the tank gets salted.

I have a 60 gallon cube that I am doing a ground up build on.

I dont know how much i'll be feeding as its not running but i want to plan on heavy bio load. The rest of the filtration is sock filter, skimmer, and GAC reactor with a Rio 3100 return pump.

I plan to tee off the overflow and run into an acrylic box then into the sump. This will be controlled with a ball valve to ensure appropriate flow.

The calculated GPH from the overflow is approximately 500 GPH. Well see what actual is.

I have planned on a 1.5 cube system that can be expanded to a 2 cube system as the system matures. The screen will be 4x4 with the option later down the road to go to a 4x6 screen. This means I only need 140 GPH flow for a 4 inch wide Scrubber.

I plan to light the screen with 4 luxeon 660 leds driven at 700ma. 2 on each side. I will use a diffuser in front of the leds to spread the light.

My last attempt was very loud but i was moving alot of water throught it. I had a Quietone 3000 running 100%through the scrubber with 3.5 feet of head. So around 500 GPH.

My Questions are:

Does that screen size seem right?
    Is that an appropriate amount of flow?
    Is there a way to judge flow as the system matures?
    Is there enough light?
    Is there any way to make these things quiet?

ill try to attach a pic of the scubber.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131024_194725.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	6465

Administrator
    Is a nice simple build. Flow seems high: 4 X 35 = 140 gph would be good, and 200 would be high. Light seems good to start, could add more later if needed, but it will escape passed the screen.

Too reduce gurgling noise, you can put a ball valve in the drain line and adjust it so that the noise stops. There is however a slight chance it gets clogged and overflows.

What should my lighting schedule be with this set up?

i will try the valve on the output. I think that will help a ton. Thank you for the advice.

Administrator
    Most all new setups should be 18 hours light. Freshwater can attempt 24 hours sometimes.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information