+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To pre filter or not to pre filter that is the question.

Banned

To pre filter or not to pre filter that is the question.

Hi SM I have a question I hope you can help answer for me. I have a new 450ltrs Aquarium inc sump. I have use filter sock on my current tank but have never seen any pods either in the bare sump or on the GHA on my DIY waterfall scrubber when I clean it etc. I am thinking this time maybe I should ditch the filter sock all together with my new build.
    The sump I have was/is set up for the Triton method but will not use that method at all. The sump consists of a large first chamber section that the water from my DT drops into via a ball valve There is a smaller second section I intend to put my protein skimmer into after the the scrubber. Then finally an end chamber for the return pump. So what are your thoughts, shall I ditch the pre-filter sock or retain it for my new tank? Thanks.

Administrator
    I would not use a sock. Or a skimmer. Both remove food particles that feed your periphyton and corals, and neither remove nutrients.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    I would not use a sock. Or a skimmer. Both remove food particles that feed your periphyton and corals, and neither remove nutrients.
    Well I am a firm believer in skimming but we shall see. A filter sock I can do without and see how it goes. Thanks for your advice SM I appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information