+ Reply to Thread

Thread: API Nitra Zorb real world test

API Nitra Zorb real world test

My 80 gallon tank with about 75 gallons of water has high nitrate. With my API test kit, it's somewhere between 40.0 and 160.00. My opinion is that 'old tank syndrome' is just another name for high nitrate.

I know from past experience that only high % water changes actually reduce nitrate. Low % changes accomplish doodle squat. Unfortunately, because I have to adjust my source water to increase pH, carbonate and calcium, high % water changes are not a viable option for me. So I've tried a few things that so far have not worked.

Now it's on to API Nitra Zorb. I just added two pouches in a Topfin Power Filter 75, which I've had for a few years and have used for various filtration tasks. I purchased 4 pouches at CAD14.45 each, which is about US$12. The instructions are to recharge the individual pouch every 5 days. I bought two sets so as not to interrupt the filtration process while I recharge the used pouches each week. The pouches are supposed to last 2 months before discarding.

I will track (any) progress and post the results here.

Apr03/16 Nitrate: 40.0+

Apr05

Just a quick note. Since adding the two pouches of Nitra Zorb on Sunday (Apr03), the two pouches are getting darker daily. They started out as a pale beige and are now about the colour of nutmeg. I presume this indicates they are absorbing stuff from the water. The water does look much clearer already and the fish seem more active and their colours are brighter. This prompted me to test for nitrate and although it is still 40.0+, the red colour is noticeably not as intense as before.

So this experiment is looking hopeful.

Apr23

Nitrate still remains at 40.0+. In fact, based on taking the API test on 50% diluted aquarium water, nitrate is around 80.0. Of course, it's very possible that nitrates were much higher than that and have come down. But aside from the initial clearing of the water, there has been no observable change since beginning this test.

I have also added a new DIY UAS to this tank which I will document in another thread.

Administrator
    The Zorb seems to be No-Zorb.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    The Zorb seems to be No-Zorb.
    So far! Still have about 5 weeks to go before the 4 packages are expended.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information