Apr24/16

As noted in the helical scrubber thread, I removed two of the LED panels from the scrubber and used them in a new upflow scrubber in the main tank. The current position of the scrubber is temporary. When I've used up the NitraZorb in the Topfin 75 filter (above and to the left in photo) I will remove it and reposition the algae scrubber on the end of the aquarium. It's a 16" wide 'narrow' tank, so the scrubber will fit with a couple inches of clearance on both sides. I'm running the lights about 16 hours. There's quite a bit of light leakage into the tank so I want to give the fish some darkness for several hours each day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03211-800x600x72.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	6490

Here's the scrubber screen after the first 7 days of operation. First photo is before removing the algae from the glass, second photo is the algae actually growing on the scrubber screen. It looks like I scrapped off some of the algae on the screen when I cleaned the glass. Anyways, I think it's a very good bright green, fluffy growth for the first few days.

Name:	DSC03206-800x536x72.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	6491 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03208-800x536x72.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	6492

Here's the LED side. There is about 3/16" clearance between the backs of the LEDs and the frame so air can flow behind them for cooling. The LED panels are mounted on bolts and there's some up/down adjustment possible.

Name:	DSC03209-800x600x72.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	6493

Note: Photos 2, 3 and 4 have been rotated 90 degrees into landscape mode.

The scrubber screen is 9" x 19" and I'm using a standard 8" trapezoid airstone powered by a single National Geographic adjustable power air pump set to it's highest flow rate. I bought the pump at Petsmart for CAD35 plus tax. The airstone and scrubber screen are mounted in a very light plastic tray designed to support plant seedlings. It attaches to the glass with 4 suction cups. I'm not sure how this is going to hold up once there's a significant weight of algae growing on it. Hopefully, the buoyancy in the water will help. The LED side hangs from the top with some additional support underneath so that it presses flush against the glass.

On the theory algae doesn't grow as vigorously in freshwater as in saltwater, I decided to build a scrubber large enough to fit basically from the bottom of the tank to the water level and wide enough for a couple of LED panels. I would eventually like to use the scrubber(s) as the sole filtration (other than some sponges to remove floating debris) so I figured for freshwater bigger is better. If necessary, I can stick a second scrubber of similar size and design at the other end of the tank.

In case you're wondering. Instead of building a frame to support the LED panels, I went to my local Sally Anne and bought a small sign frame that was the size I needed. Hence 'Powder Room'. I added a strip of styrofoam on the glass sides to provide airflow through the LEDs and help seal against the glass.