+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should I clean this screen?

Should I clean this screen?

Hi there, this is my two week old screen. I've only been very lightly swishing it in used saltwater to clean. I was running 4 hours on 4 hours off lighting schedule but I just switch to 18 hours on 6 hours off since the screen seems to be filling in and the growth is dark.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (4).jpg
Views:	301
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	6505

Also, the light is removed for the picture, but I am running two CFLs on this (one on each side). The main CFL that you can't see is a 40 ACTUAL watt 2700K bulb, the one in back is more like 10 actuall watt 5000k (just a bulb I had laying around). The screen is ONLY roughed up on the 2700K side however, as this is a larger screen and I'm only feeding 2 or 2.5 cubes a day. I'm running around 30 GPH per inch of width. Screen is roughly 5x5.

The top inch or so of the screen is NOT roughed up.

Administrator
    Welcome.

No need to clean such a new screen. Wait a week and then brush it off in the sink.

A 40 watt CFL is very strong for a 5 x 5 screen, but you weren't running too many hours. So just see how it fills in. Looks like you have a lot of nutrients in the water.

I have phosphate at 0.02ppm (Hanna) and nitrate at 0.25ppm (Red Sea), but I'm battling green turf algae in the tank which is what seems to be giving me such low levels.

Turns out my screen is actually more like 7.5 inches by 6 inches and I'm feeding roughly 2 cubes a day.

18 days in screen. First picture is the front (roughed) side. Second is the rear (not roughed). Lit from both sides with CFL. I'm currently running 20 hours on, 4 hours off. Funny thing is the unroughed side seems to have some nice green hair algae haha! The bulb on that side is a bit lower wattage and 5000k spectrum.

Thoughts?

Name:	IMG_1569.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	6560

Name:	IMG_1571.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	6561

Administrator